Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Galaxy S4 Battrey drain

Ok so I've had my S4 for 4 months and its glitching. It started with not loading my photo gallery just gives me a blank black screen. Today I noticed my battery went from 85% to 15% in 20minutes. Normally when I check to see what drains the battery its always my screen this time however it showed the little green download arrow symbol and said media is using 80% battery life. I didn't have anything downloading I went through my phone deleted all my past downloads, all my apps and it still showed it as media using 80% battery life. I restarted my phone several times, it even died and I charged it and still says media using 80% battery and its draining my battery fast. Any advice on how to get rid of this?

Default Re: Galaxy S4 Battrey drain

Welcome to Android Central! There are two main things to suspect:

1. There may be a corrupt file on the SD card. This can cause the system's Media Scanner to hang up while it's trying to scan that file, causing it to eat up battery. Unmount the card (in Settings>Storage), remove it, and insert it into your Windows PC (using a fullsize SD card adapter, very cheap to buy if you don't have one). Then run chkdsk to see if there are any bad sectors or corrupt files: [GUIDE] Using chkdsk to fix a corrupted SD card. Also see how the phone runs without the SD card--if the problems resolve, then the SD card was the problem.

2. If the SD seems ok, then try a new battery. Batteries can fail suddenly, and often exhibit signs like quick discharge or abnormal heating up.

3. You could also try booting into Recovery and wiping the cache partition, which doesn't erase any personal data: Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 4 | T-Mobile Support