Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default Trying to cut out cable tv / broadband -- HOW?

So, like so many others, I'm sick of paying $200 / month for cable tv and internet. I've got unlimited LTE data on my phone, but I'm limited to only 5gb tethered. What I'd like to do is, rather than create a hotspot, mirror my phone onto a TV so I can watch tv with my family along with the fact that I won't have to watch everything on a tiny screen.

Initially, I thought miracast was the answer. I went onto ebay and bought a $20 Measy A2W dongle. This device uses the EZCast app. Good enough… until I try getting it to work. It's buggy and laggy. Plus I couldn't find a way to use my phone to grab cellular data and push it to the device.

I then tried Chromecast, and it isn't working either. I learned shortly after hooking it up that it's going to stream data via my home wifi pulling its data from my cable modem, rather than what I was hoping to do. So if I cut the cord with my cable company, I am going to lose the broadband and therefore lose the Chromecast streaming.

So what gives? How exactly can I use my cellular data (non-tethered) to put what's on my LG G3's screen onto the television? I can't believe that it's really that hard. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance!!!

Default Re: Trying to cut out cable tv / broadband -- HOW?

Welcome to Android Central! Have you considered using a SlimPort HDMI adapter to connect your phone directly to your TV's HDMI input? This way, it's not tethering via wi-fi, and you don't have to worry about the tether limit. Here's an example: http://www.amazon.com/SlimPort-Adapt...idcentral00-20

Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post
    So, like so many others, I'm sick of paying $200 / month for cable tv and internet. I've got unlimited LTE data on my phone, but I'm limited to only 5gb tethered. What I'd like to do is, rather than create a hotspot, mirror my phone onto a TV so I can watch tv with my family along with the fact that I won't have to watch everything on a tiny screen.

Initially, I thought miracast was the answer. I went onto ebay and bought a $20 Measy A2W dongle. This device uses the EZCast app. Good enough… until I try getting it to work. It's buggy and laggy. Plus I couldn't find a way to use my phone to grab cellular data and push it to the device.

I then tried Chromecast, and it isn't working either. I learned shortly after hooking it up that it's going to stream data via my home wifi pulling its data from my cable modem, rather than what I was hoping to do. So if I cut the cord with my cable company, I am going to lose the broadband and therefore lose the Chromecast streaming.

So what gives? How exactly can I use my cellular data (non-tethered) to put what's on my LG G3's screen onto the television? I can't believe that it's really that hard. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks in advance!!!
    You could use the MHL to HDMI ($30) adapter to connect the G3 to your TV. If the wifi is turned off then any video streaming will be cellular data rather than through your cable modem. You can even use a router disconnected from the Internet to connect the G3 to Chromecast and stream that way to your TV

Posted via the Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post

Thanks in advance!!!
    I would also urge you to install Plex either on home PC and/or smartphone to cast local media (ripped DVDs, mp4) to TV

Posted via the Android Central App