Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default No more backing up to SD card with KitKat - any ideas?

I purchased My BackUp Pro a while ago and was very happy with it, but hadn't used it for a while. Today, my Galaxy S4 began to heat up quickly and intensely, and I decided it would be a good idea to back up my phone. I have always backed up both apps/media and data to my SD card so if I have to do a factory data reset, I am good to go. I now understand that with the KitKat 4.4.2 update, this can no longer happen, and it's not limited to My BackUp Pro (although apparently if I root the phone, I can do it with that app), but instead, the update prevents you being able to write to the SD card at all, if I understand what I've been reading.

So the question is.........what is the best way for me to back up my apps, media and data externally? My BackUp Pro comes with a small amount of cloud storage, which is not adequate, so I'd have to purchase more. I'm trying to avoid having to pay more $$ for storage, but if I have to, I will.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

Default Re: No more backing up to SD card with KitKat - any ideas?

USB to computer? That would be my next guess. SD cards have such a high occurrence of corruption it seems like a very irresponsible backup media. I have to admit paid cloud storage is what everything is pushing us to and like you I would rather not either.