Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wizzrah
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Default First-time smartphone user has issues with Chinese phone

I had no experience with smart phones but thought it was time. Unwilling to pay a lot or be on contract, I bought an unlocked, rooted Star W550 5.5" Android 4.2.2 phone from China. I had no idea the Android ecosytem was so entirely different from my Windows experience.

One issue is linking to my laptop. I have installed current USB 3.0 drivers for my Acer Aspire laptop but when I plug in the phone, USB Safely Remove shows:
    The device has been loaded
    Linux File-CD USB Dev...
    J:
    and no drive shows up in Explorer.

So then I tried installing apps on the laptop with Bluestacks to be moved to the phone. After inserting the phone's SD card into the laptop, I used Bluestacks with ES File Explorer and AppMonster to back up apps and drop them into SD card | Android | data.

When I move the card back to the phone, I see I have to research more about the apps than I remember, since e.g. Maple Player is in com.sqr5.android.audioplayer. Most folders have no apk file but when I find one that does, tapping the apk file gives:
    Parse error | There was a problem parsing the package.

I very much appreciate any suggestions.

Global Posts
    4,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

Default Re: First-time smartphone user has issues with Chinese phone

Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post
    I had no experience with smart phones but thought it was time. Unwilling to pay a lot or be on contract, I bought an unlocked, rooted Star W550 5.5" Android 4.2.2 phone from China. I had no idea the Android ecosytem was so entirely different from my Windows experience.

One issue is linking to my laptop. I have installed current USB 3.0 drivers for my Acer Aspire laptop but when I plug in the phone, USB Safely Remove shows:
    The device has been loaded
    Linux File-CD USB Dev...
    J:
    and no drive shows up in Explorer.

So then I tried installing apps on the laptop with Bluestacks to be moved to the phone. After inserting the phone's SD card into the laptop, I used Bluestacks with ES File Explorer and AppMonster to back up apps and drop them into SD card | Android | data.

When I move the card back to the phone, I see I have to research more about the apps than I remember, since e.g. Maple Player is in com.sqr5.android.audioplayer. Most folders have no apk file but when I find one that does, tapping the apk file gives:
    Parse error | There was a problem parsing the package.

I very much appreciate any suggestions.
    Hello! Welcome to Android Central.

First things first.

This might not be a problem with Android itself, but with the phone. Generally, chinese phones are lower quality, especially brand names that are not well known. This is not always the case, but in general, is the case.

Try seeing if enabling USB Debugging in the settings will allow proper mounting on the computer.
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn
    B. Diddy likes this.

USB Debugging is enabled but I'm unable to install a debug app. Any way out of this Catch-22?

Global Posts
    4,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by W550 View Post
    USB Debugging is enabled but I'm unable to install a debug app. Any way out of this Catch-22?
    Ah, try using USB 2.0 ports.
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn

Same result with USB 2 port.

What about the issue of getting apps from BlueStacks. Is there a better way of getting apk files? And what can I do about the fact that all of them result in parsing errors on the phone?