Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
+ Reply Subscribe
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    AC Question

Question Can you store or move apps onto a micro SD card with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 inch?

Hello, I am thinking of getting the Galaxy Tab 4 7 inch. It will be my first tablet and as it is $179, I thought "why not?" But my concern is that it is 8gb and I can't seem to find a straight answer on whether or not I can store/move apps to a Micro SD card. If I can't then there is not point in getting the tablet as I imagine there would be about 4gb of free space to use. This question also extends to the 8.4 inch and 10.1 inch versions. Any help would awesome, thanks in advance.

Global Posts
    9,082 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Can you store or move apps onto a micro SD card with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 inch?

Quote Originally Posted by AC Question View Post
    Hello, I am thinking of getting the Galaxy Tab 4 7 inch. It will be my first tablet and as it is $179, I thought "why not?" But my concern is that it is 8gb and I can't seem to find a straight answer on whether or not I can store/move apps to a Micro SD card. If I can't then there is not point in getting the tablet as I imagine there would be about 4gb of free space to use. This question also extends to the 8.4 inch and 10.1 inch versions. Any help would awesome, thanks in advance.
    Out of the box you won't be able to. This will require root. In some cases (app by app basis), you can move a portion of the app data (system settings > applications) to store on the sd card. Again, this is app by app, and up to the developer to enable the feature. Not all developers do it, as it often creates problems for the user.

Regarding the storage, you are right. Not all 8gb will be available to the user. I took a look around and can't find any specs as to what the user will be left with. I guess between 6.5 to 7gb will be available.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Default Re: Can you store or move apps onto a micro SD card with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 inch?

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Out of the box you won't be able to. This will require root. In some cases (app by app basis), you can move a portion of the app data (system settings > applications) to store on the sd card. Again, this is app by app, and up to the developer to enable the feature. Not all developers do it, as it often creates problems for the user.

Regarding the storage, you are right. Not all 8gb will be available to the user. I took a look around and can't find any specs as to what the user will be left with. I guess between 6.5 to 7gb will be available.
    Ok, so I should go for a bigger internal storage. Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll look into saving for the 8.4 or 10.1. Do you know why you can't store apps on an SD card? That just seems so backwards to me.

Edit: What exactly is rooting and is its difficult to do? I don't want to end up with a bricked tablet when i'm tight on money as it is.

Global Posts
    9,082 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by Turok_U254 View Post
    Ok, so I should go for a bigger internal storage. Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll look into saving for the 8.4 or 10.1. Do you know why you can't store apps on an SD card? That just seems so backwards to me.

Edit: What exactly is rooting and is its difficult to do? I don't want to end up with a bricked tablet when i'm tight on money as it is.
    Learn about root here: Rooting your Android | Android Central

Having apps on the sd card leads to the potential for piracy, and errors will occur if the sd card is removed or damaged.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    22,222 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    I guess between 6.5 to 7gb will be available.
    Probably closer to 4 GB remaining (Stock Android takes about 3.xx)

But to the OP, magnus is correct; moving apps to the SD card mainly depends on the developer, and if they do support it, you won't be able to move all the data to the card anyway.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Thanked by:
    srkmagnus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Probably closer to 4 GB remaining (Stock Android takes about 3.xx)

But to the OP, magnus is correct; moving apps to the SD card mainly depends on the developer, and if they do support it, you won't be able to move all the data to the card anyway.
    Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it. I basically just want some bigger games on there. Bauldur's Gate, X-Com, and a gameloft game or two. And of course all the smaller apps and stuff. I'll look into rooting also. thanks again you two.

Global Posts
    22,222 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Let us know what happens.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here