Cant get Samsung S4 to connect to PC - have correct cable and driver

A

AC Question

Hello -
My husband and I have the same Samsung S4 phones. His is able to connect to our laptop to download files - he plugs in via USB and the prompt comes up and it is recognized as an independent "drive". He is able to successfully download content. Drivers are up to date and we are using the correct USB cable. When I connect my phone with the same cable, it only indicates that it is charging. Nothing else - no recognition from the PC that it is connected in any manner.
Thoughts? Could it be a phone setting in my phone and not a PC issue?
Thanks.

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
What's the phone set to connect as? Is it set to MTP or PTP? Try connecting the phone to the computer and toggling this setting to PTP and back to MTP. Alternatively you could search Samsung's website for the proper drivers. I'm going to assume you've left the install up to Windows.

smatalonis

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi and thanks for the quick reply. Not to be daft, where do I check that on my phone? The driver we have installed now works fine with my husbands phone (and yes we left the install up to Windows). I do not get a prompt that comes up on my phone as it does on hubbies - his prompt comes up in "USB computer connection" and then allows toggling/click choosing of either media device or camera. I don't get that on my phone and cant' find it otherwise.

smatalonis

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Went to Settings. and into Tethering from there. with the USB cable connected to both the phone and the computer, the option entitled "Mobile Broadband Connection" is greyed out and the message under it says "No USB device connected" - do the phones also need the proper USB drivers to be installed?

smatalonis

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
My Storage setting just shows the amount of each type of file taking up storage space.
Under Settings>Wireless and Networks the "Tethering" description reads: "Share your device's mobile data connection via USB or Bluetooth" - that's where I get the screen above indicating no USB connection when there is in fact a USB cable plugged in to both phone and computer. I am beginning to think maybe my cable port on my phone is screwed up? But it does function fine as a charging connection.