Formatted /sdcard and /system - am I (soft)bricked?

asampal

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I had an older custom ROM and CWM 6.0.10 and I wanted to update to a newer 4.4 ROM (Omni) so I booted into recovery and proceeded to do a factory reset along with a format of /sdcard and /system. Now when I reboot, I enter recovery automatically.

I managed to push the ROM .zip to the phone using "adb push ROM.zip /sdcard/ROM.zip". The problem is that when I try to install from zip (withing CWM) the install fails with this message:

SymlinkingApplyParsedPerms: removexattr of /system/addon.d/50-hosts.sh to 0 failed: Operation not supported on transport endpoint
script aborted: set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed

set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed
E:Error in /sdcard/omni-4.4.4-20140825-maguro-FML.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

I'm stuck here and I'm guessing that I shouldn't have formatted /sdcard and /system as the directory "/0" that the error message refers to isn't on /sdcard anymore (it used to be). Not sure what to do at this point.

I've tried flashing TWRP, but fastboot waits forever with a "<waiting for device>". I thought TWRP might let me sideload the ROM (I was thinking that this manner of installing might re-create the default directories I think I wiped. Before formatting the SD card, I remember there being a "0" directory on the SD card and now there is none. It looks like the directory structure that was there is needed by the install, but it doesn't get created automatically and I'm not sure how to re-create it even though I can adb shell into the phone and have access to the CWM recovery menus.

I welcome any suggestions. BTW, this is all on a Galaxy Nexus GSM

Adrian

asampal

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Found out Omni isn't supposed to work with CWM so I went to install TWRP, but I was having problems pushing the recovery image to the phone. Someone suggested it might be the driver (was using Windows 8.1 64 bit) so I updated it using the Universal USB driver through the Android Toolkit. With that driver TWRP installed fine and, using that recovery, so did Omni.