Galaxy S4 is freezing up for a for a couple of seconds every 15 seconds

A

AC Question

Hi,

My S4 as above is freezing up a lot. I noticed that its more intense when the phone is on charge, i'll be playing an app and it will become unresponsive for 2-3 seconds every 15 seconds or so. it's infuriating when i'm playing a game or texting because if it happens when I tap a button, which is a lot, when the phone catchs it mashes that button like 50 times as if I've been pressing and holding.

It doesn't happen nearly as much when not charging but does occasionally and I've noticed that the phone is sometimes freezing completely and I have to wait a couple of minutes for it to decide to restart itself, or pull the battery out!

I've tried clearing the cache thingy by pressing the standby, volume and home button but hasn't helped at all. Most of my storage is used up but there is 1gb or so wiggle room. Oh also when I press the home button it can take 5-10 seconds to jump to the home screen these days!

Can anyone suggest a fix for this please? I'd rather not factory restore and lose all my data if possible!

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! So you actually did wipe the cache partition, as described here? Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 4 | T-Mobile Support

Corrupt SD cards can sometimes cause issues, so try unmounting your card (in Settings>Storage), removing it, and rebooting.

Also go to your App Manager and look at the Running apps. How much RAM is free? Is there anything running that takes up a large amount of RAM that you never use?