Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is Google Hangouts a viable alternative to iMessage if I switch to a Galaxy S5?

Hey guys I'm thinking of switching from the iPhone 5S to the Galaxy S5. I really really really like the Galaxy but one thing is really troubling me -- iMessages. I have gotten to the point where I would say that iMessaging is almost necessary for me. I do not get reception well where I work at and at school the lower levels of most buildings do not have good reception either, however most places that I go have wi-fi. I HAVE done some research on Google Hangouts, but honestly I'm a bit confused on how it works. Say that I try to send an MMS to someone but I lost connection before it sent, could it then send as an SMS. Also, I heard that I can pay $20 to use my current mobile number to send MMS messages. Is that true? I would appreciate it if someone could let me know what my options are here. Thanks!

Global Posts
    8,891 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: Is Google Hangouts a viable alternative to iMessage if I switch to a Galaxy S5?

Quote Originally Posted by BigZman95 View Post
    Hey guys I'm thinking of switching from the iPhone 5S to the Galaxy S5. I really really really like the Galaxy but one thing is really troubling me -- iMessages. I have gotten to the point where I would say that iMessaging is almost necessary for me. I do not get reception well where I work at and at school the lower levels of most buildings do not have good reception either, however most places that I go have wi-fi. I HAVE done some research on Google Hangouts, but honestly I'm a bit confused on how it works. Say that I try to send an MMS to someone but I lost connection before it sent, could it then send as an SMS. Also, I heard that I can pay $20 to use my current mobile number to send MMS messages. Is that true? I would appreciate it if someone could let me know what my options are here. Thanks!
    Somewhat. But since Hangouts isn't standard on most Android devices (and Android has tons of different SMS apps), it will only work like iMessage if the other person has Hangouts installed. Not sure how many people you need to contact that use iPhones, but if it's a lot of them, getting all of their phones on Hangouts is probably not ideal.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Is Google Hangouts a viable alternative to iMessage if I switch to a Galaxy S5?

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Somewhat. But since Hangouts isn't standard on most Android devices (and Android has tons of different SMS apps), it will only work like iMessage if the other person has Hangouts installed. Not sure how many people you need to contact that use iPhones, but if it's a lot of them, getting all of their phones on Hangouts is probably not ideal.
    It's about 50/50. I'm mostly just worried about not being able to contact someone over text if I don't have service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk