Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

Unhappy Bizarre Touch Screen Hitbox issue??

I got my first Android phone. Just a cheap one off contract until I find something else in a few months.

ZTE Sonata 4G
    Z740G Model
    Android 4.1.2

It seemed to be working fine until today at some point I noticed my P and Q letters stopped responding to touch. I did some troubleshooting, downloaded a drawing app and noticed the device isn't responding to touch on both sides of the device:
    Bizarre Touch Screen Hitbox issue??-screenshot_2014-09-04-22-40-00.png
    As you can see, the left and right sides aren't registering touch. Weird.

After rebooting and even a shutdown/cold boot, the issue remains. I'm not as familiar with Android. The only reason I would think it is a software issue is because I've never had this happen on any other device for the past several years. Also both sides are the exact same width and if it were hardware failure, I would think it would be more random.

It seems like some kind of letterboxing issue that I can't seem to resolve. Any ideas?

EDIT: Also notice if I change to landscape, the problem remains on the same physical areas: so top and bottom. I can't use the spacebar when typing in landscape mode.

Global Posts
    13,570 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Bizarre Touch Screen Hitbox issue??

Quote Originally Posted by mrjspeed View Post
    I got my first Android phone. Just a cheap one off contract until I find something else in a few months.

ZTE Sonata 4G
    Z740G Model
    Android 4.1.2

It seemed to be working fine until today at some point I noticed my P and Q letters stopped responding to touch. I did some troubleshooting, downloaded a drawing app and noticed the device isn't responding to touch on both sides of the device:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2014-09-04-22-40-00.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	135351
    As you can see, the left and right sides aren't registering touch. Weird.

After rebooting and even a shutdown/cold boot, the issue remains. I'm not as familiar with Android. The only reason I would think it is a software issue is because I've never had this happen on any other device for the past several years. Also both sides are the exact same width and if it were hardware failure, I would think it would be more random.

It seems like some kind of letterboxing issue that I can't seem to resolve. Any ideas?
    Did you install an app or service recently that could have attributed to a change in setting resulting in this issue?

I would suggest a factory reset. See if that helps. If it doesn't, then it's a hardware issue with the digitizer not registering your touch input on the sides of the screen.

Let us know how it goes.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

No luck. Now I can't type in my google password to restore. Probably a hardware issue after. I will have to just take it in tomorrow.

I bought 2 of these ZTE Sonatas for my kids brand new from Cricket store 1 month ago. 1st one starting doing exactly what you describe 3 days ago, not registering P&Q or any touches on the side of the screen. Did a factory reset, still not working. The other phone started doing it today. This must be a bad a lot of these phones or something. Sucks that its out of warranty at the store after only a month. Don't buy a ZTE Sonata at Cricket.