Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Lenovo K 900 getting spammed with strage alert SMSs

Hi Guys

Sorry, typo in title. I meant strange and not strage.

This is my first post here. I own a Lenovo K 900. Mostly like the phone but of late it has been getting bombarded with very annoying alerts. The alerts are not SMSs but they pop up with a loudspeaker like notification when they come.

They usually come at about 20 per minute. The worst part is that I can't access my messages after I get these alerts. I get this error. "Unfortunately, contact manager has stopped"

These attacks have happened about 4 times in the last month. Each time, I have to backup my phone, restore and reset. It is very annoying. I once even reset the phone without backing up any applications and then installed all my apps one by one and the problem still came back.

Can anybody help?

Default Re: Lenovo K 900 getting spammed with strage alert SMSs

Welcome to Android Central! Where do these alerts show up? Do they look like popup windows? What do they say? You said they aren't SMS messages, so I assume they're not associated with a phone number or any other identifying information.

It could be adware or malware. Try installing a good antivirus app like Malwarebytes or Lookout, and run a scan.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

They don't look like pop up windows. They mostly come at the top of the phone, where I get real time notifications. They all have that loudspeaker icon attached to them.

But I have never run malwarebytes on my phone. Will try that and Lookout as well. Thanks for your help
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Another thing I have noticed is that it only happens when I travel. I have never been affected when at home. It also happens almost every time I go to play tennis. Maybe it is a location thing. So weird. It happened so regularly that I don't take my phone to the tennis court

If they appear in the notification bar, then swipe down the notification shade--do you see them listed as separate notifications? If so, long-press one of them, and see if you can select App Info--this will tell you which app is generating the notification.

What are the notifications telling you? Are they important sounding things, or stupid things like how to enlarge various parts of the anatomy?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Hahaha..it is just random gibberish. Mostly it just says the name of locations closeby. Running a malware scan as I type this out. So far, nothing. Still scanning though
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Scan complete and no malware found. Since Malware Bytes offers real time protection, I hope it will stop future attacks for good. Keeping fingers crossed. Tennis on Tuesday...lol