Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Default when FAT32 only supports upto 4gb , does it mean long as vids r under 4gb and not space on card

I have a 32gb micro sd card , and the format is FAT32 , and from what I am told it will only support files up to 4gb , Now am I right in saying not up to 4gb as in space as the card I have is 32gb , isit forexample being a movie as long as it doesn't go over 4gb , As I have been trying to get like 5 or 6 movies onto my card , but I wasn't paying attention to what size the movie file was , as it was the case only 2 would play out the five , is that down to the size of the file , As I am understanding correct me here its not the space your taking up , it's just long as the movie file is under 4gb and if all movies are under that size I can put a bunch on to play.

Default Re: when FAT32 only supports upto 4gb , does it mean long as vids r under 4gb and not space on card

Hi, if I understood correctly your question, the limitation with FAT32 is that, the files can't be larger that 4gb. You can have 10 movies with 3gb each one, but no one of them can be 5gb for example. Hope that solves your question

Default Re: when FAT32 only supports upto 4gb , does it mean long as vids r under 4gb and not space on card

What prevents you from reformatting the card to NTFS? I had the same problem with large movies using FAT32 but overcame it by reformatting. Check that the devices you would use the card in can handle NTFS.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

I have three movies in just now that work fine and are not above 4gb per file , but I put a 4th file in that was only 800mb and it doesn't play and also a 5th that's under 4gb and that does not play either , I tried using different players but didn't work, I also tried formatting it as ntfs and exfat , that also didn't work , would deeply appreciate advice and direction on how to go on this coz surely with my card being 32gb I could get more than 3 movies under 4gb for each movie.