MHL to HDMI cable not working with Galaxy S5

A

AC Question

I have a MHL to HDMI cable and am trying to use it on my computer monitor. I connect the GS5 to my monitor via the cable. No adapter or anything. Shouldn't need one I believe since it isn't usb, already has HDMI. But I do not get any signal from my phone on the monitor. Any ideas?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
If you check on any mhl cable description on Amazon for example, it needs a separate power source. It cannot output and take power through the same cable.
Not convenient, but that's how they roll.

3e3ydumy.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Padawan79

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Also having the same problem. If this is the case then the mhl to hdmi cord should have a port for power on it! Bought the cord for 50 bucks, now I have to buy an adapter to make it work!?? That's b.s..

SimianAntics

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Also having the same problem. If this is the case then the mhl to hdmi cord should have a port for power on it! Bought the cord for 50 bucks, now I have to buy an adapter to make it work!?? That's b.s..

I have a Galaxy S5, which I connect to an Oppo BluRay player via a Sony mhl cable. There is no power adaptor required. The Oppo player provides power via the HDMI connection - the phone indicates it is charging, though the available amps are not enough to prevent a net drain on the S5's battery.

So, just saying, that there is in fact, a different way to roll ...