Galaxy S3 Screen Keeps Going Black

A

AC Question

Today when I went to pick up my phone, I found that the screen wouldn't turn on. I was pressing the home key and the two buttons were lighting up but nothing else worked. I just figured it was frozen so I took the battery out and turned it back on. This time the notification light was changing colors (as it normally does when you turn it on) but nothing was working on the screen. I waited a moment and I tried swiping the screen when I thought my lock screen had came up (the screen is still black at this point) and it vibrated like it normally does when i unlock the screen. I've tried several times taking the battery out and replacing it and after about the 6th try my phone booted up normally but after about 15 minutes the screen goes black again

I'd like to add that I'm not usually a person to drop my phone often ( maybe once a month) but it was dropped in the toilet about 2 months ago, but i bought a treatment kit for it and its worked fine until now. I always have my phone in my back pocket also (I don't know if any of these could've contributed to this, I just want to know what's wrong with my phone!)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The screen might be failing. Hard to know if it's related to the recent water damage. Remember that no drying technique for a phone is foolproof.

At this point, I would strongly recommend you make sure all of your data is backed up or synced, in case the screen fails for good. Then consider bringing it to a repair shop to see if the screen needs replacement.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I read your other post too and it seems like you can use some help. If you're here to troll - this isn't going to work out. If you're here to get a problem solved or help others solve problems, please familiarize yourself with the forum rules - particularly the PUPPAH portion. In case you're on mobile and can't see the link in my signature, here is a link to the aforementioned policies: Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

If you have any questions about the rules, etc please reach out to any member of my team and we're all too happy to help.

Robert Agir-Muir

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I didn't come here to troll or be rude, I just read like 10 other threads and he gave the exact same answer to everyone, the obvious answer would be to take it to a repair shop, mainly why we came here to ask a pro or someone with experience on the subject, I'm sure most of us don't need a new $150 screen because of a small malfunction inside (possibly even software related), screens randomly failing for no apparent reason is quite strange, he did however tell me to check YouTube lol, I didn't mean any harm, we always want an easier fix than to pay a retarded amount of money. I basically have to buy a new friggin phone now because this one is busted, and its the same price to buy the S5 :l

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I didn't come here to troll or be rude, I just read like 10 other threads and he gave the exact same answer to everyone, the obvious answer would be to take it to a repair shop, mainly why we came here to ask a pro or someone with experience on the subject, I'm sure most of us don't need a new $150 screen because of a small malfunction inside (possibly even software related), screens randomly failing for no apparent reason is quite strange, he did however tell me to check YouTube lol, I didn't mean any harm, we always want an easier fix than to pay a retarded amount of money. I basically have to buy a new friggin phone now because this one is busted, and its the same price to buy the S5 :l

I definitely understand that is a frustrating situation. I've only lost one device to catastrophic screen explosion and ended up doing an insurance exchange but even that was $100. Considering the excellent new devices for not much more than that, it is a tough call on how best to handle it.

via SHIELD Tablet. AndroidCentral Moderator.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

People who post questions on this forum have a wide range of experience when it comes to tech. Some are quite expert, while others are very basic beginners. It can be difficult to gauge a person's level of expertise from a single post. In my experience, many users ask questions about a failed or failing screen, often related to water exposure, half-expecting that some kind of software wizardry will bring the screen back. The reality is that it almost never will. That's why I often recommend a repair shop, or one of the many YouTube videos that show the adventurous user how to replace the screen themselves. Then I hope that they don't somehow make a mistake while replacing the screen themselves, and then have to come back to the forums asking what went wrong (which we also unfortunately see too frequently).

I personally apologize to you for giving a terrible answer. I will continue to strive to give better answers to all members for any issue that I can try to help with.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
It's possible part of the flex cable leading to the display panel (or the strength of the attachment on either end) was degraded or loosened by the initial drop and liquid exposure, and only recently detached completely. It wouldn't be a five-minute affair, but you could open the device up and make sure everything is in the right place using teardown and repair guides as reference. Even if this is the case, it's still very possible the damage can't be fixed, or that such a fix would be temporary at best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa