Need help finding/recovering Chrome history/bookmarks on HTC phone

A

AC Question

Hi,

I am completely new to dealing with Android problems, but am hoping that someone here can help me. My daughter has an HTC phone that recently automatically installed an update to Chrome. She did not like it so opted to uninstall that update. To her horror, she now has lost all of Chrome's history and bookmarks. This is devastating to her, as she has a year's worth (she tells me) of bookmarks and history that she REALLY wants to be able to access. And now she can't – the history and bookmarks are gone as if she had done a fresh install of Chrome. Does anyone know if it is possible to recover history and bookmarks that, I guess, have been deleted by the update uninstall program?

I browsed online for a while and the most I could find was that the bookmark file could normally be found in the "data/data/com.android.chrome/app_chrome/default/bookmarks" directory, but that you needed to be rooted to access it. This phone is not rooted and I am leery of attempting to root it for fear of making a permanent mistake. Using X-plore, I searched and could not find that path even in the “root” directory – which looked hidden but seemed accessible through X-plore, so I don't know if that is truly the “Root” directory or not.

I don't even know if I could find/undelete the bookmark file even if I did root the phone. Plus, that wouldn't help me find the history, right?

Thanks, in advance to anyone who can help.

HTC Sense version 5.5

Android version 4.4.2

Software version 2.15.652.3

- Chris

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Open the Chrome App - Settings. Make sure she is logged into the Chrome app with the account that the bookmarks were associated with.

Also, doing the same from a desktop computer, with Chrome, should also present the information.

Mondschatten

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Ahh. I see the problem now and it was not anywhere near as complicated as I thought. Thanks for your response. You are right; she was not logged into her Chrome account. Apparently, uninstalling the update logged her out and she didn't realize it. I didn't realize she was logged out either so thought her bookmarks had been lost or overwritten. In fact, it was only presenting a generic profile. We've got it now. Thanks again.

- Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox