ZTE nubia z7 mini vs Huawei Ascend Mate2?

a-dogg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
So I'm waffling between these two off-contract phones...

Primary importance is camera specs and display (which have a limit, because I know they're both midrange phones). They both have 13MP rear cameras. But the Mate2 has a 6.1" screen with a 720x1280 (240ppi) display. Where the nubia z7 mini has a 5" screen with a 1920x1080 (441ppi) display.

I don't play mobile games, so I don't need the display for that. But I do watch videos and look at a lot of photos, and read...

Do you think I'd notice the low(ish) resolution of the Mate2 in real-world usage? Or is it more something that reviews like to criticize, since the industry standard is now 1080p?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
There is not much of a difference between 720p and 1080p. However, this is only the case if both devices have the same screen size. Here, PPI will probably be noticeable. For pictures and videos, I would take the nubia's screen. However, for reading, I would use the Mate2's.

Sent from my nifty 2 year old AT&T HTC One XL

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts. I wouldn't be as concerned about the Mate2 if it were 5", but as you said, 6" feels like it might make the lower ppi more noticeable.
It will be noticeable. If you're use to high resolution screens, trust me, you will see the difference.

Sent from my nifty 2 year old AT&T HTC One XL