Pictures included in text messages don't come through

A

AC Question

I have a Galaxy S4. I'm receiving text messages OK, but if a photo is included in the text message then sometimes I receive the photo, but most of the time I just receive a gray square with an orange exclamation mark and a comment identifying the time sent and "MMS." I did not have this problem until I tried the "AT&T Messages" for "SMS," which I don't like. Do I have to set the AT&T Messages as my default messaging system in order to receive photos in text messaging? I don't want to do that because the texted photos "time out" and disappear in a few seconds and I can't save them.
What is the difference between MMS and SMS?
Please help me understand what's going on.
Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! SMS is pure text. MMS is for sending media, like photos. It's also used for group messaging. MMS requires a mobile data connection--it can't be sent over voice signal or wi-fi. Is your mobile data connection on?

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Some carriers will limit the size of the picture and if exceeded it will delete it. I use the following rule. I don't send a picture but send a link the receiver can follow to see the pictures. All of my pictures are stored in the cloud and send the receiver a link.

The message is shorter and the quality of the picture is much better than sending over the carrier compressed network. It's takes some time and effort to set up but it's works alot better. No MMS involvement at all really.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
It may be the total message size that is limiting you as, well as the sender. It depends on your carrier as well as the senders carrier to move the message. If you need to know you can call the carrier and see what they say about max size on an MMS message both to and from the devices.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Google the following.

" Deactivating iMessage "

From there you can get the specific information you.need. I'm guessing you are deactivated because you are getting SMS messages on your phone but not being IOS knowledgeable it's best to check.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac