I was a bit crestfallen when I learned that the 2014 Moto X had been up-sized. Now I'm left wondering what phone to get for my wife. She's petite and these 5+ inch screens mean the notification bar becomes a long uncomfortable reach with one hand. I thought the new Moto X was going to fix the camera and be THE phone.

The two things she wants are a smaller size and a good camera. Too bad the manufacturers seem uninterested in building a phone like that.

So what are her options?
    Samsung Galaxy Alpha (meh)
    iPhone 6 ?!?!?!?!?

Is that it? Or one of the low-end "mini" models? I get that there's no perfect phone, but how did a phone that's not designed for gorilla hands become a niche product?

She's on Verizon, but could switch to Cricket/AT&T.
    09-10-2014 09:16 AM
    The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact may be worth checking out, if available where you are.

Posted via Android Central App
    studcookie likes this.
    09-10-2014 10:05 AM
    The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact may be worth checking out, if available where you are.
    Thanks, I hadn't really looked into Sony. It seems like a solid device. Unfortunately the Z1 Compact doesn't support Band 17 which is one of the bands AT&T uses. That means the phone will have no LTE coverage in some areas.
    09-11-2014 01:12 PM
    There don't seem to be many good-quality compact phones with high quality camera now, at least not Androids. I guess in your position it might be best to go for an iPhone.

If your wife is a photography nut, and Windows Phone is acceptable, I can recommend the Nokia Lumia 1020 from personal experience. Ageing a little, but incomparable camera. Not too large.

studcookie likes this.
    09-11-2014 04:17 PM
    Adw launcher allows you to pull down the notifications panel from anywhere on the screen.

Could be helpful and open up your options a bit

studcookie likes this.
    09-11-2014 04:25 PM