My Nexus 10 is only 6 months old and I'm very pleased with it overall, but just recently when typing a message, the keyboard lags. The words stop appearing on the screen but if I continue typing and then sit and wait for a quite a long time, maybe 1 minute, the words then suddenly appear. What can be causing this and is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    09-11-2014 03:10 PM
    Try Settings, Apps, All, scroll to your keyboard app, whatever one you're using, and select Clear Cache. If no go, get back to us.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-11-2014 03:20 PM
    Gosh that was a quick answer, thanks. I've gone to Apps/All and found the keyboard. Under Cache it says 12.00kb but when I click on the button nothing happens. The button depresses but the 12.00kb remains. There is also a "Clear Data" button with 20.54mb App, and 12.83mb Data a total of 33.37mb. Should I clear data?
    09-11-2014 03:36 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say the button depresses. When I suggested selecting Clear Cache, I meant touch that option on the screen itself. I'm assuming a touch-sensitive screen.

Regarding 'Clear Data', I think that would be likely to do the job but since I'm not sure what data would be lost, I'm reluctant to recommend it. I believe that it will be okay, but am not certain.

Another useful remedy which may help, is a general app cache clear. Go to Settings, Storage, Cached Data, and clear the cache.

There are other things we can try if the above don't work.

Posted via Android Central App
    09-11-2014 06:01 PM
    Sorry it's taken me such a long time to get back to you. Things have been a bit fraught and I haven't been using the tablet for a while. Clearing the cache and data didn't work I'm afraid. Yes, it's a touch screen and when I said the button depressed, I meant that when I touched the screen the "clear cache" button responded but the cache remained at 12kb. I also cleared the data but that didn't make any difference either. I've now tried your second suggestion of clearing the cashed data in Storage and I'll let you know if that works. I much appreciate your help and apologise again for not getting back to thank you.
    09-18-2014 01:54 PM
    12kb is so tiny, it would fill up with that and more straight away.
    I personally cannot think of a reason for this unusual keyboard problem unless you have very slow data, but that might not explain it. Clearing the cache partition should help. Meantime you can try another keyboard from the Play Store like SwiftKey which is excellent, if available for tablet.

I will search if you can clear the cache partition in recovery/boot mode, although Belodion may beat me to it.
    09-18-2014 02:34 PM
    How to clear partition cache in Recovery mode, courtesy of @crxssi.

This is safe to do and should free things up. It's an easier process on many phones like Samsung's and I do it very regularly.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=3365755

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    09-18-2014 04:17 PM
    Thank you Madd. I installed Swiftkey but it was just the same, with the lag, so I cleared the cache as per your link. It seems to have worked so thank you. I'll report back after it's been working properly for a day or two. Thanks again to you and Belodian for your help.
    09-18-2014 04:48 PM
    Your welcome. He's the clever one. I'm the good looking one.
    09-18-2014 04:50 PM
    Well this is odd. That seemed to work at first but then the lag happened again. However, I've discovered that it's only happening on one specific online forum. It appears to be working properly on other forums including this one. There must be something in the settings that the google keyboard doesn't like. It's a real nuisance because it's the forum I use daily.
    09-19-2014 09:20 AM
    Try that forums site help, it may be happening to other people.
    Are there other apps that cover that forum. I really prefer Tapatalk when visiting Android Central, and they cover a varied amount of sites.
    Android Central prefer to recommend their own apps, but Tapatalk is better imo.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    09-19-2014 11:17 AM