Battery Life

anonymouslyblah

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I don't know why my phone battery started draining terribly fast the last few days - I haven't changed any settings or any apps. Last night I unplugged it at 100%, went to bed, and when I woke up my phone was off because the battery had died. I plugged it back in and took these screenshots.

Screenshot_2014-09-12-07-12-48.png
Screenshot_2014-09-12-07-12-24.png

It pretty much started since I got back from travelling to the States a few days ago (I'm from Canada) - but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it. It's a Samsung Galaxy S3.

I'm not sure if this is enough information to help diagnose the problem. I've been googling to try to find out what to do, but I'm a bit of a clueless noob. Forgive me please.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I can't see anything that is so seriously abnormal that it would drain the battery from full charge to empty in under eight hours. Have you considered a new battery, or if you can, trying one somehow without having to buy, in case it isn't that?

You haven't got something 'stuck' on downloading (your first screenshot) have you?

Posted via Android Central App

anonymouslyblah

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I have randomly had days where the battery seems to drain ridiculously fast, but then it would be back to normal the next day. This overnight depletion seemed worse than usual though since I wasn't actually using it at all.

Before heading to work this morning I charged it up to 68%, and it is currently still at 22%, so it seems pretty normal again - I'd assume it would be dead by now if it was draining like it was last night.

I just can't pinpoint why it has an off day every once and a while. Maybe all I need is a new battery?

Nothing stuck downloading. Just some initial downloads and whatnot that started once I plugged my phone back in. They were finished in a minute.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Okay. In the second screenshot, your battery graph is descending in little steps rather than a smooth slope. I had a similar problem with a Lumia 1020 which was losing battery charge abnormally. I eventually tracked it down to an app update which had been sitting in the phone for a week, although I'd received no notification that I was aware of, trying repeatedly to update. I updated it manually and that fixed it. I'm not saying you've got that but something is making the graph descend in those little on/off steps. Syncing, photo backups, location, gps?

However it's hard to believe that any of them could actually drain the battery overnight so I think it is indeed time to consider a new one.

(Before you do so, perhaps try a Cache Partition wipe. If it does no good, it will do no harm:

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-6205

....Or even a Factory Reset, if your personal data is backed up.)

Posted via Android Central App

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what the problem could be but this is what a think from your information.

There are some strange things in those graphs. It seems like the phone had been awake for just a couple of minutes. So all the battery percentages for apps in the first one are a lot (FB, play store,...) for such a short time of use. Background processes?

Your mobile signal doesn't look very good, maybe it's just the screenshot but seems weak (brown) . You said that everything is ok at work and I can imagine that there you get an stronger signal. Maybe the drain is in some way related to that.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
If you go to settings, data usage you could try to set the graph for the same day of your battery screenshot. Include WiFi as well. That's an easy way to find out if something was using data without you noticing it.

Daniel P1

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't know why my phone battery started draining terribly fast the last few days - I haven't changed any settings or any apps. Last night I unplugged it at 100%, went to bed, and when I woke up my phone was off because the battery had died. I plugged it back in and took these screenshots.

View attachment 136256
View attachment 136260

It pretty much started since I got back from travelling to the States a few days ago (I'm from Canada) - but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it. It's a Samsung Galaxy S3.

I'm not sure if this is enough information to help diagnose the problem. I've been googling to try to find out what to do, but I'm a bit of a clueless noob. Forgive me please.
That has happened to me a few times with my LG G2 in the past. A lot of times it is a background app running for no good reason. It usually goes away with a quick reboot. These kind of battery drain seems to happen with just about every android phone. Google seems to be focused on battery life with the Android L update. Let's hope they can limit the amount of battery drains.

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the same prob with my LG Optimus L9, except it drains like hell permanently (also standby).

The phone was bought six months ago, battery fine. The issue suddenly occurred from one day to the other a few weeks ago.

Now it only lasts for like 7 hours on standby, even less when in use.

I have tried all that Wifi, GPS, Flight mode, sync bla bla.
Nothing.

Battery calibration: no.

Factory reset: Nothing.

Flashing new firmware, also without gapps, (now CyanogenMod 10.2.1 + gapps, I like ), but: nope.

I just don't wanna have to buy a new battery after only a half year.
Or maybe a way to check the real battery health would help.
I'm a bit overwhelmed with all different diagnose- and repair apps. To me, most of them seem like useless crap.

Please help me with this incredibly annoying thing, I'm running out of ideas here.

Greets, P

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze