How to change the text message notification when sender is an email address

redhed72

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello, new to the forum, so hope I don't ask something that is answered elsewhere. I looked but couldn't find it, so please point me in the right direction if I missed it.

My husband and I are rural fire fighters. We just changed to E-911 and the fire calls now come to us as a text message with the sender as an email address instead of a phone number. We've changed the message notifcation for the email contact, but it doesn't seem to affect the sound that it makes when a text message is received from that address. Any ideas?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... That's an odd one. I'm guessing that when you get the text from an e-mail address you've saved in your contacts you still see the e-mail address on the sender field, right? Not the name you've saved the contact as? If so, that's the problem: The phone is not recognizing this as your saved contact, so it applies the standard message tone to it.

I don't know if this is possible or not, but have you tried saving the e-mail address on the PHONE field of a contact? Again, don't know if this is possible or not.

redhed72

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the input. It does show my named contact in the sender field, and then the email address right below that. So it is recognizing it as the saved contact. I did actually try saving the email address in the phone field and it only allows numeric input. Maybe someone else will have some other ideas.