Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out, I've got a nexus 4 which is running stock android and is unrooted, and I have this problem where whenever i touch something at the bottom of the screen, above the soft keys (back,home etc) the area doesn't work. Sometimes it registers the touch,sometimes it doesn't register a touch at all but most of the time it behaves as if i pressed the soft keys, when I didn't, I pressed the area above them. For example when I want to use whatsapp and i tap on the area to type in the keyboard doesn't pop up and either nothing happens or the phone thinks i pressed the home button and goes back to the desktop. Sometimes the area does work such as in Google music when i swipe down there to switch between songs which leads me to believe its a software issue. Has anyone else had this issue or knows how to fix it?
    09-13-2014 04:10 AM
    Hmmmmm, that sounds like it might be hardware, but it may just be worth wiping the Cache Partition, which if it does no good, will do no harm:

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-5994

Posted via Android Central App
    09-13-2014 07:11 AM
    First clean the screen. I know it sounds silly and you're likely looking at the screen thinking that it's not dirty. While screen tech has improved it has also made the screens a bit more sensitive. Cleaning the screen is the first step, if that doesn't work, then I have to ask has the phone taken a fall? It is possible that the serial cable for the digitzer has become partially dislodged. This would account for your sometimes it works sometimes there's nothing, and maybe even the mistaken touch. If it's taken a fall you may want to take it in for service. Personally I've never seen this issue caused by clutter on the device and if you call service they are likely going to want you to reset the device. I guess they may even if you take it in but a good tech will likely know that resetting the device won't affect this kind of issue.
    anon8380037 likes this.
    09-13-2014 07:46 AM
    .... also, while not usually causing symptoms particular to yours, a case magnet in that area can affect the screen responses. I have a flip over case where the strap tucks from under the screen to clasp above the home button. My S-Pen can skip in that area but it's mild and I love the case.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro
    VidJunky likes this.
    09-13-2014 08:11 AM
    Hey guys I'm the OP. I tried belodions suggestion but that didnt get rid of the issue. The device has been dropped before, but not within the past 2 months and the issue has started happening just about a week or 2 ago. Its only recently come back from being repaired by LG, they repaired the faulty volume rocker but the issue with the screen seems to keep happening. That part of the screen does register touches even when it malfunctions only itthinks i pressed the home button when i actually pressed the area above it and sometimes it works normally such as when im opening apps on the hotseat. Is there anything else I can try to repair the issue here or will I have to contact LG again? I've also tried doing a factory reset of the phone to no avail.
    09-13-2014 10:48 AM
    I guess mad makes a good point, it's there anytime the phone is exposed to strong magnetic or microwave fields? Do you sit it next to the microwave at work or home, or do you work with machines that have warnings for pacemakers? That doesn't explain why for at last one app it seems to always work but it could explain done of the other.

09-13-2014 11:59 AM
    It hasnt been exposed to any magnetics or radiation, and the case I use is just plastic. I havent done anything unusual to it at all thats why I'm wondering if it could be a software issue maybe an update that can be fixed by usb debugging perhaps of flashing a custom rom
    09-13-2014 01:43 PM
    Try this just for S&G, get an app for drawing and see if you can draw in that area and see how accurate it is. If it allows you to draw in that area and it's accurate it could be something soft, but if it's not accurate and or unresponsive I would think it was hardware.

09-13-2014 02:47 PM
    Ah ok i cant seem to draw on the bottom of the screen. This settles it I think its a hardware issue. I told the company that was doing repairs about it thought and they seem to have sent it back without repairing the screen. Does anyone know if I can get it repaired cheaply by bringing it to a retailer like carphone warehouse or will I have to send it back to LG and wait another 2 weeks?
    09-13-2014 03:39 PM
    They owe you a repair and they don't usually sub contact so I hate to say it but it looks like two weeks.

09-13-2014 07:22 PM
    Yeah i think you're right, at least I stil have my nexus 7! Thanks for your help.
    09-14-2014 02:34 AM
    This same thing is happening to my Nexus 4 (bought in Dec 2012).
    It's been going on for a few days, even after a master reset. It's driving me insane!
    09-25-2014 03:40 PM