Samsung Galaxy S3 won't connect via USB as media device (Win 8.1)

A

AC Question

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 (running 4.3) that I have been using with Windows 7, XP, and Vista machines as a "media device" without Kies; I simply plug it in and use it as a drive. When plugged in to those machines, the phone says "connected as media device"...

I recently replaced the 7 machine (Dell Optiplex 745) with a brand new Dell XPS8700 with Windows 8.1. However, when I connected the phone via USB, it was not recognized at all; the phone only charges. (FWIW, it does recognize my old iPhone 4).

1) I read that for some, installing Kies would load the latest drivers and solve the issue, so I began with Kies3 because even though my phone is pre-2013, it is running 4.3, so I figured that would supersede. I installed Kies3 and let it update itself to the newest version. Kies3 did not fix the problem, and did not recognize the device.

2) Next, I uninstalled Kies3, and installed Kies 2.6. All indications are that 2.6 is for 7 and XP, but I installed it anyway. It also updated itself. No change in device status, and also tried running the "troubleshoot connection error" tool, which also helped nothing.

3) I learned about the potential Windows media player and Windows 8.1n/kn issue and applied the pack, which stated that it did not apply to my windows version.

4) I checked device manager, and although I'm not 100% sure I've ID'd the correct device under USB controllers, there is one that says "unkown USB device (device descriptor failed)", which I suspect is it.

5) In the midst of these efforts, I also experimented with various cables and USB ports.

FYI, the phone does still connect with the other machines, just not the 8.1 machine.

Any other suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC