Messaging App Crahses

Jack Wright3

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I have a Galaxy 5 Active. It has been working great and all of a sudden the Messaging app crashes whenever I open it. I go into the app, click on a message, and within about 2 seconds the app crashes and says "messaging app not responding", or something like that. I can no longer send or review my messages. Messages continue to come in...I just can't pull them up and read them. Any ideas?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a ton of messages? If there are to many it could overload it. The default app isn't the best for handling a ton of messages.

I use ChompSMS and it works fine. I'd suggest downloading a 3rd party text app to see if it crashes or not.. If it doesn't then you have your answer. If you want to keep using the stock app you may have to delete some messages (I'd suggest doing this using a 3rd party one as well).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Agree with above. You could also go to the App Manager, select Messaging, and Clear Cache. If that doesn't help, and you want to clear all of the messages, I think the Clear Data option will do that (but not 100% sure).

Another thing to try is to wipe the system cache partition, which won't erase any personal data: Reset: Samsung Galaxy S 5 | T-Mobile Support

Jack Wright3

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I cleared the cache and that did not help. I then cleared the data and that did not help either. I ended up having to do a factory reset and it worked... Painful though as you can imagine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech