sd card problem on s3 mini

Dave Bradford

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to put some of my music files onto the external memory card in my Galaxy S3 Mini. The memory card is 32 gigabytes and the music files amount to about 10 gigabytes. I have tried to accomplish this task using Samsung Kies and also by using the phone as an external memory device and transferring files by drag and drop.
After a while, Kies stops and tells me there isn't enough memory.
Using drag and drop works for a while and then gives an error message saying a file can't be transferred.
Examining the folders on the phone shows that some files have appeared with strange names. I can't delete them or the folder containing them. It seems that the memory card has been corrupted and the only way to properly access it again is to reformat it.
Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! This kind of behavior is unfortunately reported here with some regularity. Transferring large amounts of music via USB connection to an external SD card doesn't always work well, especially with Samsung devices. I suggest unmounting the card (in Settings>Storage), removing it, then inserting the card into your computer's card reader using a fullsize SD adapter (very cheap to buy if you don't have one: Amazon.com: SanDisk microSD to SD Memory Card Adapter (MICROSD-ADAPTER): Computers & Accessories). Use the computer's file explorer to delete the files you've already moved over to the card, and then try dragging and dropping files directly to the card, using the file explorer.

Dave Bradford

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks for the advice. I tried your suggestions and it seemed to work OK. However, on examining the file folders I had transferred, it was clear that some were corrupted, as before. I tried using the chkdsk utility. This spotted the problem and said it had fixed the card. I was able to delete the corrupt folders, but when I attempted to transfer the files again, the same thing happened!
I decided that there must be a fault with the micro SD card, so I bought another. So far, the problem seems to have been resolved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton