Hey guys, I am new to the forum , so pardon me if this question has already been posted.

My Device is a NEXUS 7 LTE 2013, 32 GB; Running 4.4.3 KITKAT OS, purchased 4 months back.
    Initially, when I started using it I found the battery to be quite good enough (good for the first TAB I have ever had) and then until recently I found out that the battery can do a standby time of up to 7 days without charging and including light usage!

Before detailing my query, let me put in some details of my usage.

I use my device mainly for Facebook, web browsing and reading books and it also includes occasional youtubing, music and very rarely movies and games.
    I am sure I don't do any heavy use on it.

Coming back to my query, I intend to ensure a longer life for my device, which would also ensure good battery life throughout and more standby time which is promised by default.

Could you guys please help out on how to get the "Almost 7 Days of standby time" and when to charge the battery?

I know how the Li-ion battery works, their charging periods, absence of "battery memory" and everything, but I haven't able to find out the precise or close enough methods to get the said results.

So far, I have been getting a battery life of 1 day and 2 hours on an average (10% left out from 100% full charge) and a screen time of 5 Hours and 45 mins only.

I am very much sure that the screen time has to be at least around 6 and a half hours more.

Please help me out guys and it could be helpful to every other nexus device owners to find their answer in one place

Thank you!
    09-19-2014 04:12 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Keep in mind that the battery life that is advertised is often an overestimate of real life use. When a company says its device lasts for 8 hours while watching videos, that's based on a standardized test where that's the only thing the device is doing. In real life, you're probably switching between apps, opening new apps, making calls, syncing data, etc., all of which takes power. Around 6 hours of total screen-on time is what I usually get on my 2013 Nexus 7, so that's not unusual.

It may help to get a better idea of what's contributing to battery use. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
    2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
    3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
    4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...d-central.html

Also, review this guide for more tips: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...ving-tips.html
    Golfdriver97 and Neeraj Babu like this.
    09-19-2014 01:58 PM
    Any tips on Nexus 7 2013 LTE  Battery Care and longer battery power??-battery.jpgAny tips on Nexus 7 2013 LTE  Battery Care and longer battery power??-screenshot_2014-09-23-06-47-21.jpgAny tips on Nexus 7 2013 LTE  Battery Care and longer battery power??-screen.jpgAny tips on Nexus 7 2013 LTE  Battery Care and longer battery power??-tablet-idle.jpg

Sorry for the late reply... I had to charge it back to 100% and then view the discharge.
    09-23-2014 09:43 AM
    That doesn't look too bad. It would help to see the Cell Standby category to see how much Time Without Signal you have. If the Cell Standby is coming up, it's possible that poor signal is impacting your battery life. There are a few red areas in the graph.
    09-23-2014 10:15 AM
    I forgot to mention, even though it is the LTE version, I haven't put a SIM in the device and I don't think I had use the SIM in there any time soon.... I always prefer it to use over WIFI. Is it better to have a SIM in the device?
    09-23-2014 10:30 AM
    If you're not going to use a SIM, then turn the device to Airplane Mode. You can still turn Wi-fi or Bluetooth on afterwards. Airplane Mode will turn off the cell radio, which might be needlessly using battery.
    Golfdriver97 and Neeraj Babu like this.
    09-23-2014 10:43 AM
    Hi

For two days I have been doing the same as you said and it seems to be affecting the wifi i.e, the wifi signal turns to orange.

Even though I am able to browse the internet, I don't get any updates as in, notifications and the problem verifies when I turn off the airplane mode and it turns the orange wifi signal back to white. What do I do?

How much will the cell radio use without a SIM in the device?

Help me out please.
    09-25-2014 02:33 AM
    I always check my tablet to make sure nothing is running in the background that shouldn't be before it goes into sleep mode.

I have the 2012 Nexus 7 non LTE version . It is 32GB.
    Time sense last recharge is 18 days 21 hours 35 minutes 8 seconds.
    Now I barely used it in that time. Screen on time was only 2 hours 16 minutes 37 seconds.
    I have 20 percent charge left.

So it really depends on usage and what type of usage, on how long they will last. Also how good you're battery is.
    09-25-2014 03:12 AM
    Pardon me for asking but, did you get that kind of standby time just from a single charge to 100% and what is your charging method/schedule?

What I usually do is, when the tablet turns to 20% i.e, when the tablet indicates the message: "Connect the charger", I keep it for charging and let it charge until 100%.... Suggest any other more effective method, if you have got one?

Thank you.
    09-25-2014 06:02 AM
    Hi

For two days I have been doing the same as you said and it seems to be affecting the wifi i.e, the wifi signal turns to orange.

Even though I am able to browse the internet, I don't get any updates as in, notifications and the problem verifies when I turn off the airplane mode and it turns the orange wifi signal back to white. What do I do?

How much will the cell radio use without a SIM in the device?

Help me out please.
    Does that happen regardless of the wi-fi network you're connected to? Sometimes, certain wi-fi routers might have firewall set up that blocks certain servers. You should be able to connect to Google servers through wi-fi only. The orange wi-fi icon means you're not connected to Google servers--it doesn't necessarily mean you have no internet access at all. That's why you can still browse the web, but you may have problems connecting with Google services.
    09-25-2014 11:21 AM
    I don't have access to other wi-fi networks here
    But I am very much sure that there is no issues as such because I set up the home router myselves and tweaked it for maximum performance that doesn't involve with anything that had affect the router in a bad way... It's a Linksys Dual band Router, btw.

It is true that I am able to browse the internet, but I don't recieve any notifications until and unless I turn off the aeroplane mode and let the wifi set itself right...
    09-25-2014 02:13 PM
    The phone will usually use more battery with the cell radio on and no SIM than it will with a SIM (since it uses battery to check the SIM almost constantly to see which network it should be trying to connect to). It should work fine if you turn off Mobile Data, Bluetooth, GPS and any other radios, except the wifi radio.

Tap that graph you posted and you'll get another one. At the bottom there's a line labeled Awake. It should be almost black if you charge the tablet, then let it sit with the screen off for a few hours. Any blue on that line means that something woke the phone up (and it uses more battery when awake than when asleep). Run Wakelock Detector to see what's keeping it awake. Use Greenify to hibernate (sleep) any apps that shouldn't be running unless you run them. (You may want your email program running all the time, so that you get emails as they arrive at the server, but you certainly don't want a game running when you're not playing it.)

As far as longest time between battery replacements, try to charge the battery when it's down to about 40% to 60%. Constantly trying to get the last minute out of the battery will shorten its lifetime. See Battery University - How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries The second table will show you what I'm talking about.

Also keep the screen as dimly lit as is comfortable for you. You'll notice that the screen is the largest battery user, and the brighter it is, the more battery it uses. (The light you see is just a panel of LEDs behind the actual screen, and the brighter you run them, the more current they use.)

Since the device isn't new, the battery won't benefit from conditioning, but in the future, with a new battery or a new device, fully charge the battery before using it (I don't even let them set it up with the battery I'm going to be taking home - use the charger or use their battery - I want a properly conditioned battery). Then use the device until it tells you to charge the battery. Fully charge it with the power off. (That should only take a couple of hours.) Do this 3 times - fully charge, fully use - before going to the 50% charge cycle. (The book says that lithium batteries don't have to be conditioned. New ones don't, but you can't tell whether the cells in yours are new or were sitting on a manufacturer's shelf for 6 months before the phone manufacturer got the battery. The original battery in my Motorola V551 - that's about 13 years old - still works at about 90% capacity. It gets reconditioned any time the phone sits for more than a few months, and was conditioned when the phone was new.)
    09-25-2014 02:51 PM
    Pardon me for asking but, did you get that kind of standby time just from a single charge to 100% and what is your charging method/schedule?

What I usually do is, when the tablet turns to 20% i.e, when the tablet indicates the message: "Connect the charger", I keep it for charging and let it charge until 100%.... Suggest any other more effective method, if you have got one?

Thank you.
    Sorry I missed your reply.
    I normally let my tablet run down to 20-30 percent before I recharge. Yes that was from a single charge.

That particular session was all offline. It was file and photo transfer by bluetooth and gaming. Gaming was mostly Candy Crush.
    I keep wifi off if im not using it.
    I get all my emails thru my smartphone so no reaon for me to keep it on when not in use.
    Neeraj Babu likes this.
    10-12-2014 02:22 AM
    Sorry I missed your reply.
    I normally let my tablet run down to 20-30 percent before I recharge. Yes that was from a single charge.

That particular session was all offline. It was file and photo transfer by bluetooth and gaming. Gaming was mostly Candy Crush.
    I keep wifi off if im not using it.
    I get all my emails thru my smartphone so no reaon for me to keep it on when not in use.
    Even I do keep the wifi turned off when not in use, but then I guess it's because of the unwanted wakelocks that keeps the battery down...
    10-19-2014 12:54 AM
    Even I do keep the wifi turned off when not in use, but then I guess it's because of the unwanted wakelocks that keeps the battery down...
    Earlier, Rukbat made a point of turning off just mobile data as opposed to placing the phone in Airplane Mode, I am curious if that would make a difference. (It shouldn't, it is doing the same thing, but I am wondering if it is a slight error in the ROM)
    10-19-2014 09:05 AM
    I found out why I was getting weird orange color on the wifi signal, I turned off the mobile data and then turned it to airplane mode, that solved the issue of bad wifi network, but still the battery is bad..
    10-19-2014 12:35 PM
    Run Wakelock Detector. If the phone is sleeping and the battery is dying, it's a bad battery. But if the phone is awake most of the time (the phone will be awake any time you're using it - let it sit for a few hours, not charging, before checking), hibernate (use Greenify) the apps that are keeping it awake. (You can't hibernate Play Services, because that's most of Android, you shouldn't hibernate alarms, email or phone, because you want them available asynchronously [and they usually sleep unless called for anyway] and you shouldn't hibernate anything else you want woken up when an event occurs.)
    10-19-2014 01:00 PM