I've had Google Voice integrated with my Sprint number for years now. But with the recent Hangouts/Voice integration whenever I send an SMS message from my phone (HTC Evo 4G LTE) the recipient recieves it from 3-17 times.

I think it has something to do with it trying to send both from the GV number and the carrier number which, uniquely for Sprint, are the same. Maybe some kind of loop.

Under SMS Settings under "Send SMS from" I changed it from "Smart Reply" to "GV number" and then tried to change it to "Sprint number" but that did not change the behavior and further I've been unable to change it to Sprint number at all (it let's me select it but it doesn't change from "Google Voice". In other words I can only select "Smart Reply" and "Google Voice"). I've turned my phone off and on and uninstalled Google Voice app, but non of that changed the behavior. I think this is a problem on the Google server side.

Is anyone else experiencing this? If so, are there any work arounds other then sending all messages from a computer. I'm hoping for a quick patch, because I really don't want to uninstall Hangouts.

09-19-2014 07:53 AM
    I'm having this problem too - only since recent Hangouts upgrade. Let's hope there is some type of workaround.
    09-19-2014 08:24 AM
    Yes! I've been having the same problem since the Hangouts update. In fact, I sent one text to a friend of mine yesterday and he received it over 50 times! He had to temporarily block my number because his phone was constantly blowing up. This is a huge problem but I can't find any solutions. I uninstalled Hangouts and went back to my Galaxy S4's default messaging app for now. So frustrating.
    09-19-2014 10:50 AM
    There is a new update to Hangouts today. This may help.
    09-19-2014 11:07 AM
    i've had GV for yeard with sprint. at the beginning i used to my sprint number, but later got a new number (my sprint is a FL area code, but i live in DC) with another area code. it worked good for the few years that i've had it. but it was really annoying that i couldn't send/receive MMS. so finally, after i got done working at the pentagon, i decided it was ok for me to merge my 2 identities into 1 again, so i got rid of the GV-sprint integration. I went back to using my original sprint number, and able to send/receive MMS. well guess what, not even a week later hangouts gets updated and it swallows GV features. now, with the new hangouts, i'm actually able to send/receive MMS and emoji using the GV number. pretty cool. but i didn't feel like switching back.

here i thought let me integrate my sprint number with GV again. and the reason i thought that is because i love sending people messages while on my laptop. way quicker and easier than texting from a phone. once i did that, and sent a few texts, my friends were like wtf. i'd get screenshots of my messages being sent multiple times. i quickly disintegrated my GV from sprint and went back to having 2 numbers. now my phone has my original sprint number, and my hangouts in chrome has my GV number. and through the hangouts app i selected the smart reply to where it'll reply from the number that received the text.

have to admit, i'm a bit jealous of apple's sms integration between their imessage and the laptop. i wish i could send sms/mms from my laptop vice from my phone. but that's only possible if you change your number to a GV number that isn't the same as your sprint number.

ramble ramble ramble, but that's what i discovered.
    09-19-2014 11:24 AM
    I am having the same problem. I have been using GV and sprint for years. Now I decided to use the new hangouts and I can't get it to stop sending the same message. I uninstalled GV and Hangouts from my phone and disabled GV and Hangouts on the internet. This is very disappointing.
    09-19-2014 12:12 PM
    Add me to the list... Im on Sprint and its getting really annoying!! Just happened again a few minutes ago...

Posted via Android Central App
    09-19-2014 04:06 PM
    It's a known issue now. Since I'm still new, I can't post links. But it's linked to in several Google Hangouts Help Forum threads. For Sprint users, they want to disable the Hangouts integration:

"If you're using Google Voice on your Sprint phone, you shouldn't turn on text messages and voicemails in Hangouts. This will cause problems with your text messages."
    09-19-2014 06:31 PM
    I too am having this issue. I can't wait for a fix. A little off topic.... Is there a way for hangouts to revert to sending a normal SMS without a data connection? For me it hung on sending if I didn't have a data connection
    09-20-2014 02:41 AM
    FYI, check out Google's response. It's not a solution... Yet... https://productforums.google.com/for...ce/UeXGeI1lVeY

Posted via Android Central App
    09-20-2014 05:49 AM
    FYI, this seems to be fixed. I've been using it again for over a week with nary a hiccup. Well not sending multiples at least.

It seems slow playing messages and will some times crash, but it's not unbearable and may be due to me having an old EVO 4G LTE with no memory left...
    10-08-2014 11:00 AM