I would like to update a Coby Kyros tablet to 4.1 Jelly Bean from 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, where can I download what is necessary to do that, and what are the steps involved? Thank you!
    09-19-2014 08:15 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! You would need to root it first, then find a custom ROM to flash. You also need to find the rooting guide for your exact model. Here's an example: Coby Kyros MID7015 Utimate Guide - Rooting, … | Android | XDA Forums
    lascott7 likes this.
    09-19-2014 01:41 PM
    Thank you! Are all of the steps necessary to root the tablet? Where would I find a custom ROM? I just want a basic version of Jelly Bean to install on it.
    09-19-2014 01:53 PM
    I was looking for same thing because right now its on ICS version and when I try to update it it keeps saying its failed. I guess I have get a ROM on there. I thought the internet would update it itself. I'm also looking for rooting guide as well on getting jelly bean on my son's tablet for his Coby.
    01-08-2015 01:45 PM
    If the device is rooted or it has a custom ROM, the update will fail - it's supposed to. Updating a device with the update for the stock ROM, when it's running a different ROM, or updating files that were changed when the device was rooted, can brick the device.

If you want to root it, search for <your device's model number> root. If you want an updated ROM, search for <your device's model number> ROM. Most devices don't have to be rooted to flash a new ROM. Most devices won't flash an update if they're rooted. (The difference between flashing a ROM and flashing an update is that the ROM won't be stock [there's no sense in putting in what you already have] and it won't have any of the apps you installed or any of your data, while flashing an update will just give you a later version of the stock ROM and leave all your apps and data.)
    01-08-2015 05:03 PM
    If the device is rooted or it has a custom ROM, the update will fail - it's supposed to. Updating a device with the update for the stock ROM, when it's running a different ROM, or updating files that were changed when the device was rooted, can brick the device.

If you want to root it, search for ROM. Most devices don't have to be rooted to flash a new ROM. Most devices won't flash an update if they're rooted. (The difference between flashing a ROM and flashing an update is that the ROM won't be stock [there's no sense in putting in what you already have] and it won't have any of the apps you installed or any of your data, while flashing an update will just give you a later version of the stock ROM and leave all your apps and data.)
    Yeah my sons is not rooted and has stock ROM so I need to root it first before? BTW he has Colby Kyros Mid7048
    01-08-2015 07:59 PM
    No, if you want the update, don't root it. If you want to install a custom ROM, rooting it is a waste of effort, because you're overwriting the ROM you're rooting (you root the ROM, not the phone itself) with the custom ROM, which is going to be rooted anyway.

The odds are, though, that there are no custom ROMs for that device (it sounds like one of those cheapie Chinese devices, so the people who can develop ROMs wouldn't own one), and there probably was never an update for it.
    01-08-2015 10:40 PM
    No, if you want the update, don't root it. If you want to install a custom ROM, rooting it is a waste of effort, because you're overwriting the ROM you're rooting (you root the ROM, not the phone itself) with the custom ROM, which is going to be rooted anyway.

The odds are, though, that there are no custom ROMs for that device (it sounds like one of those cheapie Chinese devices, so the people who can develop ROMs wouldn't own one), and there probably was never an update for it.
    I thought you were referring to the tablet not a phone. That's weird because I saw a previous post about the Coby tablet.
    01-08-2015 10:46 PM
    Hey B. Diddy can this be recommended for the mid 7048 as well?
    01-08-2015 10:48 PM
    Hey I was wondering for and update for my son's mid7048. I looked everywhere and can't find anything. I do not wanna root it but do and update where I go to the settings and simply update. That's it! When I tried I got this---> E: failed to open /nand/update.zip (no such file or directory). Where can I get update.zip for the Coby Kyros Mid7048????
    01-10-2015 10:22 AM
    OK this thread is over the fact that I no longer own the tablet.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    09-09-2015 05:59 AM