I have the Samsung Note 2 through Sprint with version 4.4.2 on it. Whenever I plug it in to power to be charged (car or home) wi-fi automatically gets turned on and starts searching for a signal. Is there a setting I can change where wi-fi will ONLY turn on and start searching for a signal when I turn it on, not automatically when it gets put on a charger?
    09-21-2014 11:36 AM
    I have the Samsung Note 2 through Sprint with version 4.4.2 on it. Whenever I plug it in to power to be charged (car or home) wi-fi automatically gets turned on and starts searching for a signal. Is there a setting I can change where wi-fi will ONLY turn on and start searching for a signal when I turn it on, not automatically when it gets put on a charger?
    Hello! Welcome to Android Central.

If you have Sprint Connections Optimizer installed on your phone, turn it off. See if that will fix the wifi problem.

Sent from my nifty 2 year old AT&T HTC One XL
    09-21-2014 11:43 AM
    I can certainly try that here in a moment. While I do think the Sprint Connections Optimizer is on my phone what is it? And what are the "disadvantages" of having it turned off?
    09-21-2014 12:28 PM
    The advantage is that you use wifi rather than your allowed amount of data any time there's a wifi signal available. Since it's plugged in, the disadvantage of using a little more power isn't really a disadvantage. (Even if you have unlimited data, you'll probably find that after you've exceeded some amount in a given moth, your data connection seems to slow down - and it probably is.)

I'd actually consider automatic wifi on external power to be an advantage, not a disadvantage. (If the phone is on, and you're charging it, it'll probably take a couple of minutes more to charge, which is about as significant as adding a cup of water to the ocean.) If I ever charged my phone anywhere but home (where it connects automatically because my home is geofenced), I'd probably write a Tasker task to do what your phone is doing.
    09-21-2014 01:36 PM
    I can certainly try that here in a moment. While I do think the Sprint Connections Optimizer is on my phone what is it? And what are the "disadvantages" of having it turned off?
    It is a tool that selects the "Best" network for you. Here is a link to how you can turn it off: Turn Sprint Connections Optimizer on or off - Samsung Galaxy S® III 32GB

I do not know of any disadvantages of having it turned off. If you ask me, it's better if it's off rather than on.
    09-21-2014 04:32 PM