S4 won't switch on

A

AC Question

My Samsung galaxy s4 switches off at random intervals and flashes the screen Samsung Galaxy s4. It refuses to turn back on. I have it plugged in and charging but still won't budge. It can't be my battery because I have recently just bought a new one? My phone is a year old, in good condition so I don't understand why it is doing this

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Where did you buy the battery from? Batteries can be defective, so it may still be a problem with the one you got. Was your previous one completely dead? If not, plug that one back in, and see if it starts up normally.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I suspect that the phone has been handled with, let's say, less than extreme care, being dropped a few inches, knocked around, etc. It sounds like a hardware problem to me. Possibly something as simple as a bad battery contact, but it could be more serious. (It could also be an intermittent power switch which, while being a really cheap part, requires a little disassembly to replace. Pressing the power switch for a few seconds [whether you do it or the switch does it because it's broken] will cause the phone to reboot, and if the switch isn't making contact when you press it, the phone won't power up.)

If the phone is just under a year old, see if they'll replace (or repair) it. Many stores will be a little lax on the "exactly one year" warranty, and will work with you even if it's a few days or a week over the one year point, but not much more than that - and some stores will look at the time you bought it and not honor the warranty if it's 5 minutes after it expired.