Hi all... thank you for clicking on my thread. I was wondering if anyone could tell me which part needs replacing in my phone? The display doesn't show anything (although it is backlit). Most everything else works, including the buttons and touchscreen (I can do a few things with the phone from the memory of where they were, Lol)

The screen failed in stages over two weeks. First the display would only go blank when I slid out the qwerty keyboard, but would work fine in portrait. Then the display started glitching even with the keyboard hidden (inverted/washed out colors, flickering, random lines) but I could "fix" it by holding the phone a certain way (pressing my thumb against the top left corner would restore the image to normal).

Then the only image I could get was the glitchy one, then finally nothing at all.

If it's just the main slide flex cable, is this easy enough for a tech/repair shop to replace?

Thank you :)
    09-21-2014 02:34 PM
    Welcome to AC!

One thing occurred to me as I read your post....is the battery in good health? If failing, they sometimes bulge, and may exert pressure on the components and circuitry inside. I believe I'm right when I say that someone posted some time ago about just such a battery, which apparently pressed against the digitiser and broke it. It's probably unlikely that your screen is being disabled in this way, but perhaps worth checking, if you haven't already.

Posted via Android Central App
    coddman likes this.
    09-21-2014 03:52 PM
    Hi belodion,

Yes you're right, the battery is starting to fail, and it is bulging. So when I get it repaired, a new battery is in order too

But the screen is still blank when I relieve pressure on the back of the phone by holding the battery at an angle, so the damage has already been done I guess.

If the digitiser is broken, would the touchpad still function?

Thanks for the AC welcome :)
    belodion likes this.
    09-21-2014 04:18 PM
    If the digitiser is broken, would the touchpad still function?
    The digitizer IS the touchppad, if y9ou mean the on-screen one. There are 4 layers in the "Screen" - the backlight, the LCD screen itself (which is the "display"), the digitizer or touch screen and the glass. Any one can break without affecting the others.

Your problem could even be just a connector that's been working itself loose ober time, and is finally disconnected. Or it could be a bad LCD screen. If the phone is seill under warranty, it's covered. If not, I'll give you the same advice I give everyone (after spending a couple of decades repairing cellphones) - if you've never been trained to repair a cellphone, replacing the screen yourself may probe to be more expensive than paying a shop to do it - you may end up paying them to replace everything you broke before paying them to replace the screen.

Some phones are easy to replace the screen on, but some are very difficult. Don't depend on the Youtube videos - what you see may be the 20th attempt, not a newbie opening his first cellphone.
    coddman likes this.
    09-21-2014 05:54 PM
    Rukbat,

Thanks. I wasn't going to try to fix it, I just wanted to do a little better than "It's broken; fix it!" when I take it into the shop :)
    09-21-2014 07:37 PM