Updating with root?

GeeDani

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I would like to update my phone ( Samsung Galaxy s3 Straight Talk version.. SCH 960 L ) to KitKat, but unfortunately straight talk will not release the update and they do not support OTA updates. I've heard people talk about updating through Kies, can someone please explain to me what that means..?

Posted via the Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I would like to update my phone ( Samsung Galaxy s3 Straight Talk version.. SCH 960 L ) to KitKat, but unfortunately straight talk will not release the update and they do not support OTA updates. I've heard people talk about updating through Kies, can someone please explain to me what that means..?

Posted via the Android Central App
Kies is the desktop client for Samsung devices. You can get it on Samsung's website for mobile device and install it. Connect your device and see what updates are available for the S3.

Be sure to backup and sync your data beforehand just in case the phone needs to be reset - good luck!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Also, if your phone is rooted, the update will probably fail par way through. You'll have to totally unroot (if you're running SuperSU, it's in Settings, under Cleanup). If that doesn't work, you'll have to reflash the current ROM (I'm guessing 4.3), then flash the update. Check on the XDA S3 forum if that happens (update fails after you unroot) to see if there's a set of ROM files you can install via Odin to restore the phone to stock. (That's how it had to be done to some Note 3s.) It depends on how you root. Some rooting programs leave mud all over the floor when they're done, and an update will choke. Some just run the exploit to get temporary root, install the files needed to get permanent root, install a superuser app, clean up after themselves and leave. Unrooting that leaves a pretty stock phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084