External speaker for ringer volume boost

A

AC Question

I've got an S4. Great phone. No real issues, other than I think the volume for everything is too low, even at max settings. Not usually a huge issue, but not cool when one gets an emergency phone call at 2am, and you sleep through it because you're tired from working a double shift AND the phone ringer (sitting on the bedside table) isn't loud enough to wake you up. Next thing you know you've got six cops pounding on your door... THAT did wake me up.

It also prompted me to start searching for an external speaker that would help add volume to the ringer should I get another call like that.
First I tried a little $30 iHome speaker from Walgreens. Works great for everything EXCEPT It won't ring when the phone gets a call!!

Fine. So I visit the VerizonWireless store where I got the phone and have them help me, and I leave having laid down over $100 for a JBL Flip2 speaker that was verified to ring nice and loud when I get a call. I get home all happy I've finally gotten it sorted, only to discover the stupid thing turns itself off after 15-20 minutes of silence. Even if it's plugged in.

This is really becoming a stupid (and expensive) issue that seems to have no clear answer. Does anybody here know of a speaker that A) will stay on for at least 5-6 hours without auto timeout. and B) actualy ring nice and loud when the phone receives a call?

Thanks.