I'm thinking about encrypting my Google Nexus 4 running latest OS, so I had a few concerns.

First off, I do realize that after I encrypt, in order to 'Go Back', the phone will need to be 'Factory Reset' and everything on the phone will be lost.

I also know that it will make the phone slower, whatever that means. Will I notice, will it be obvious, or is that just the typical disclaimer?

OK, Now, is there a way to back up all my personal data? Google already has my Contacts. From there, I have pictures, Google photo's sync is set to 'ON', so I assume they are also saved on the 'Cloud' also?

I use Google Docs and Sheets so anything in the realm of documents and spreadsheets are in the 'Cloud' too?

I use Firefox and have it set to Sync.

Have I forgotten anything????
    09-25-2014 04:29 PM
    Google photo sync will only have full size backups if you enable it. I think by default it saves smaller backups (unlimited) as opposed to the full size backups, which count against your Drive quota.

I have a few apps that have particular settings that I like to have backed up. SeriesGuide, Life Reminders, and Pocket Casts. Just take a hard look at your app catalog and think about whether anything is customized to a way you want to make sure you keep it. Often stuff like that will have a backup option (ideally to the cloud, but sometimes just a local file that you can e-mail to yourself).

Also, if you like your home screen setup, you can do screenshots to preserve a reference for re-doing it, because that won't be coming back.
    09-25-2014 05:04 PM
    You've forgotten any apps that save data to the phone but not to the cloud. If you can't back up that data manually, you'll lose it if you reset. (And make sure you don't save contacts as Phone or SIM - they all have to be Google contacts to be saved on Google Contacts.)

BTW, "slower" isn't a "typical disclaimer". The phone can't use encrypted data, so every app you run, every bit of data an app has to load, will have to be unencrypted, and that takes time. Will you notice it? The larger the file that has to be unencrypted, the longer it will take, and the more you'll notice it. A 1k file will probably load as fast either way. A 500MB app will load a lot slower.
    09-25-2014 05:18 PM