Why do all the apps on Google Play demand permissions to *everything*?

A

AC Question

Why does a flashlight app want access to my contacts, or a kid's game want access to my camera? I'm new to Android (new S5!) and am really kind of appalled at how shameless this is. What good is an store with a million choices if they're all unusable because they want my whole digital life?

Thanks in advance - sorry if it's a newbie rant.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Permissions fall in several broad categories, so be aware that just because an app requests a certain permission doesn't mean that it wants access to every single aspect of that category. For example, a flashlight app will need Camera permissions because the camera's flash that is used as the flashlight is part of the camera.

A flashlight app should not, however, need access to your contacts. So it still is a good idea to look through those permissions before installing an app. A good developer will explain at least some of the permissions in the Google Play app description, and you should also look at a few pages of the reviews as well, since some of the more astute reviewers may point out some issues.

Keep in mind that at least with Google Play, you're told upfront what permissions the app is requesting. Other appstores on other platforms aren't as forthcoming at the purchasing stage.

Review this article for more info: What some of those scary application permissions mean | Android Central

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane