So I've been using windows phone 8 & 8.1 for almost 2 years now. Now I've just had enough of it and I want to try something else. Mostly because in windows phone I can't get the newest apps same time with my friends or when I can they either don't work at all or theyre not as good as the apps on iOS and android.
    I'm not 100% sure about changin yet so I didn't want to use much money for a new phone so I bought used HTC one (m7). I know it's not the best or the newest phone but I wanted to try out the android before buying an expensive phone. I haven't even got my phone yet but I already have some questions:
    What is ROM? Some kind of other version of android?
    What means rooted?
    This question might sound dumb but I never really paid much attention to android so I don't know. The companies that make android phones, do they use the same version of android or do they have their own versions?
    How are the updates in android phones? Does the companies update only the best phones or all of them? In my case the HTC one m7.

I have many other questions and things I'd like to know better so is there a website or something where I can find stuff about android?
    09-27-2014 09:08 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Here is some information worth looking over:

http://m.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa

The ROM is what your are seeing on the device as the user. If you root, you can install custom ROMs that are enhanced or tweaked. Some may be themed, or enhanced with performance in mind.

The current version of Android is KitKat, 4.4.4. The next iteration L is due out soon. The manufacturer will push the update to devices on the update path. I would think that the M7 could possibly get L, so keep and eye on the AC front page on further updates once L is released.

Let us know if you have questions!
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    09-27-2014 09:34 AM
    So I've been using windows phone 8 & 8.1 for almost 2 years now. Now I've just had enough of it and I want to try something else. Mostly because in windows phone I can't get the newest apps same time with my friends or when I can they either don't work at all or theyre not as good as the apps on iOS and android.
    I'm not 100% sure about changin yet so I didn't want to use much money for a new phone so I bought used HTC one (m7). I know it's not the best or the newest phone but I wanted to try out the android before buying an expensive phone. I haven't even got my phone yet but I already have some questions:
    What is ROM? Some kind of other version of android?
    What means rooted?
    This question might sound dumb but I never really paid much attention to android so I don't know. The companies that make android phones, do they use the same version of android or do they have their own versions?
    How are the updates in android phones? Does the companies update only the best phones or all of them? In my case the HTC one m7.

I have many other questions and things I'd like to know better so is there a website or something where I can find stuff about android?
    Welcome to the forums.
    A ROM is basically the OS. Similar to Windows, or Ubuntu, there are different versions of Android. Samsung has a version called TouchWiz (TW), HTC calls theirs Sense, etc. The version of Android that is on a Nexus or a Moto X is called Vanilla. All are Android, but will look different. A custom ROM can either be based off of say TW, or AOSP (Android Open Source Project) which is close to Vanilla.

Rooted is the same thing as System Administrator. It is the highest authority level possible in the system.

All OEMs use the same version of Android. Their version is basically what is called a 'skin'. Skins offer variety, be it a change of icons or features, but sometimes at a cost: TW can be very resource heavy, resulting in the occasional stutter or lag.

One thing to be aware of: Android does like having RAM full, as it helps apps to load faster and be easier on the battery.
    09-27-2014 09:39 AM
    Link fixed, sorry about that

Here it is again for reference: http://m.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    09-28-2014 08:05 PM
    In addition:

The operating system of an Android phone is Linux. Android is like a skin sitting on Linux. The home screen you see is a skin sitting on Android. (Sense and TouchWiz are homescreens, also known as launchers.) The ROM is usually Linux, Android, the recovery partition (which is really stripped down version of Android) and a couple of other little things.

BTW, although a few of us who sit on clouds were born knowing all about everything, don't worry about being a newbie. All of us plain humans had to learn, starting where you are now - wondering what this was all about. (Granted, when I got my degree, we were learning about vacuum tubes, and every store had at least one pay phone.) Take your time and when you look back a year from now you'll be amazed at how much you learned by just having it "soak in".

If you're thinking of doing something to the phone, please, please ask first. I see so many people post their first question about having done something to the phone that they can't recover from. Post a question asking "how do I ..." or "should I ..." first. Want to totally change the way the phone works? Many people root the phone, then flash a new ROM - then run into problems. Installing a new launcher gives the phone a whole new personality, it's safe and most launchers are free or have free versions. Even just changing the wallpaper makes the phone look fresh. (Mine is always something to do with the upcoming holiday. I'm already trying to decide among Halloween wallpapers. By November first it'll be turkey-themed. Then an Android Christmas tree. Trivial, but it makes the phone look different. Change your ringtone. Change your notification tone, Simple things that won't get you into trouble and are fun.)
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    09-29-2014 01:18 AM
    In addition:

The operating system of an Android phone is Linux. Android is like a skin sitting on Linux. The home screen you see is a skin sitting on Android. (Sense and TouchWiz are homescreens, also known as launchers.) The ROM is usually Linux, Android, the recovery partition (which is really stripped down version of Android) and a couple of other little things.

BTW, although a few of us who sit on clouds were born knowing all about everything, don't worry about being a newbie. All of us plain humans had to learn, starting where you are now - wondering what this was all about. (Granted, when I got my degree, we were learning about vacuum tubes, and every store had at least one pay phone.) Take your time and when you look back a year from now you'll be amazed at how much you learned by just having it "soak in".

If you're thinking of doing something to the phone, please, please ask first. I see so many people post their first question about having done something to the phone that they can't recover from. Post a question asking "how do I ..." or "should I ..." first. Want to totally change the way the phone works? Many people root the phone, then flash a new ROM - then run into problems. Installing a new launcher gives the phone a whole new personality, it's safe and most launchers are free or have free versions. Even just changing the wallpaper makes the phone look fresh. (Mine is always something to do with the upcoming holiday. I'm already trying to decide among Halloween wallpapers. By November first it'll be turkey-themed. Then an Android Christmas tree. Trivial, but it makes the phone look different. Change your ringtone. Change your notification tone, Simple things that won't get you into trouble and are fun.)
    That helped a lot. Thanks! It feels kinda weird to be a newbie because I've always thought I know a lot of stuff about technology and I'm interested in it. I just don't know pretty much anything about android. I guess I never really were interested in it until now.

The reason I wanted to know about rooting and ROMs is that I bought a used phone that has a "custom rom" in it and it's rooted. I haven't even got the phone yet and I never asked what ROM there's installed in it so.. Yeah I feel kinda stupid now when I didn't ask about it but I've already decided to install the stock rom, I guess that'd be Sense since its HTC. How does the stock rom install work? Do I need to install install sense 5 and then update it to 5.5 or 6 or can I install the sense 6 straight away?
    09-29-2014 07:33 AM