Does anyone have a list of apps that support saving files to an SD card?

A

AC Question

I understand that kit Kat initially limited the use of sd cards and that sd card functionality has been restored as developers played catch up. I cannot find a comprehensive list anywhere that shows which common or popular apps support sd cards.

Additionally, has anyone here been saving their Google play movies,tv shows, and music to an sd card? If so, how is offline playback for you? What size card are you using? I know 128Gbps cards are supported and am thinking about buying one. What kind of read/write speed does your card have and do you ever get lag when watching or listening media on your sd card?

THANK YOU!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I understand that kit Kat initially limited the use of sd cards and that sd card functionality has been restored as developers played catch up. I cannot find a comprehensive list anywhere that shows which common or popular apps support sd cards.

Additionally, has anyone here been saving their Google play movies,tv shows, and music to an sd card? If so, how is offline playback for you? What size card are you using? I know 128Gbps cards are supported and am thinking about buying one. What kind of read/write speed does your card have and do you ever get lag when watching or listening media on your sd card?

THANK YOU!
I'm not sure that there is a list with all supported apps, anywhere. Regarding saving movies, tv shows and music onto the sd card, it's not possible to save the entire file for security reasons.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
An app can save files to a folder it created, whether it's been updated or not. (I'm still using Gingerbread apps that save to the SD card, but I had to delete the original folder and allow the app to create it under KitKat.)

The only way one app can save files to another app's folder is if the app runs as root, which means rooting the phone and having the app modified. And that would defeat the entire purpose of the change - keeping data from being scattered all over the card, with some data from an app being its own folder and some being in the folder of another app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol