The original cable from Samsung doesn't work and my after market cable charges talk slow and also falls out . Do I need to replace the jack? If so, what's that going to run me. Bought or used, but i registered it with sa.
    09-28-2014 08:48 PM
    The original cable from Samsung doesn't work and my after market cable charges talk slow and also falls out . Do I need to replace the jack? If so, what's that going to run me. Bought or used, but i registered it with sa.
    It could be possible to damage the micro USB port by pushing or forcing the cable into it too hard. What device do you have? Take a look for some online repair tutorials. Often times the how-to's will provide links/resources to the parts you need to fix the device.

I'd suggest starting there and see what you are able to find.
    09-28-2014 10:56 PM
    Unless the port comes on a board that plugs in, I wouldn't recommend even thinking about doing it yourself - you'll be soldering tiny wires, spaced very closely, to very thin copper pads. The end result will probably be having the motherboard replaced which, depending on the phone, might cost more than a new phone.

I still wouldn't recommend opening the phone at all but, if the port is on a board that just plugs into the motherboard, and you're determined to do it yourself, look on Youtube for instructions for your particular phone, take a lot of notes, keep the video on screen while you're working, so that you can go back and forth to make sure you understand what you're doing at that step and what to be careful to not do and try.

The port (even with a board) is cheap - maybe $20 or so, depending on the phone. Learning to solder properly to plain large wires and terminals takes a week or two. To learn to solder to points that are 0.05" apart takes a LONG time and a LOT of practice. (And you'd still have to buy a good temperature-controlled soldering iron [anywhere from $75-$200], a tiny tip, solder and flux. And a new port, which is a couple of bucks.)

Considering the cost of a good iron (using a cheap $15 iron almost guarantees a ruined board, even if you have years of experience. There are probably a few people who could do it, but not many), it might actually be cheaper to pay a shop to do it if it requires soldering in a new port.

Cheaper "repair": Get a wireless Qi charging receiver for your phone if possible, and a charging base. Use that to charge the phone. Use software (apps) to transfer files to and from the phone. A Qui charger and base can run as little as $30 (it depends on the model phone - look on Amazon). The apps, like Wifi File Transfer, are free.
    09-28-2014 11:23 PM