I have a Galaxy S3 with a broken LCD. The screen is completely black and my phone has a pattern lock to it. I upgraded to an S5 and put my SIM card in to realize none of my contacts were backed up to my Google Account or my SIM card. I am not very good at computers so could someone please give me clear instruction on how I could retrieve my old contacts?
    09-28-2014 09:11 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! That's going to be very difficult, perhaps impossible. There are ways to use an OTG cable and a USB mouse to get past your pattern unlock, but you'd still have to access your Contacts/People app in order to export the contacts to a file that can be subsequently imported into Google. I'm not sure how you could do this without actually seeing the screen. Contacts aren't stored in a discrete file that you can easily move over.

You could try using the Kies program, but I don't have direct experience with it: How do I Back Up and Restore my device using Kies 3? : Cell Phones | Samsung
    09-29-2014 12:08 AM
    You'd still probably need the screen to use Kies (at least to tell the phone to allow Kies to connect).

If you're friendly with a good repair shop, they may have a used S3 screen they could plug into your phone long enough for you to export your contacts to your SD card. (This is why ALL contacts should be Google contacts.)
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-29-2014 12:14 AM