Why did Android corrupted most of my jpeg and mp4 files?

A

AC Question

Why android corrupted most of my jpeg and mp4 files

Used to have a bada phone (samsung wave2) after getting an afroid phone (huawei) i realized that most of my jpeg and mp4 files aren't working. these were photos and videos i shot and were really important. i tried to repair them with using different repair programs but it didn't work. what can you suggest?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why android corrupted most of my jpeg and mp4 files

Welcome to Android Central! Which Huawei phone do you have? So you're saying that photos and videos you took with the phone's camera got corrupted? Were they saving to Internal Storage or the external microSD card? If the latter, I would suspect an issue with the card. Remove it, insert it into your computer, and run chkdsk to look for errors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Or use PhotoRec to recover any files. (Recover from the SD card, you can't connect the phone's internal memory hardware to the computer.)

jatinpatel

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

Hi,
I had the same problem, I went on holiday for three weeks to take pictures of our family vacation. i saved all videos and photos to the SD card. Mines was a 32gig card and my wifes was a 16gig. Mine is a samsung s3 and her's a samsung s3 mini. Her phone worked fine and mine burnt out all the pics and videos. The message was "can not display image or file", or "media file can be playback".
I managed to do some digging and forums mentioned samsung S3 common issue burns out immages on a 32gig card, common issue that samsung did not fix.
I sent an email to samsung and they wanted to send my phone to repair instead of fixing the issue. So far I have lost three weeks of videos and photos of our holiday and have learnt a lesson of storing anything bigger than 32 cards.
Disaster darling.
If you know how to recover images or videos let me know, so far anything I have tried on my computer nothing has worked.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Same thing - try PhotoRec. If PhotoRec doesn't find any pictures on the card, there are no pictures on the card, and no computer can recover something that's not there.

The problem is that Samsung goofed in the SD firmware in the S3 update. SanDisk, even though it wasn't their problem, redesigned the controller in their cards, so the newer SanDisk cards don't have that problem with the S3. And, although it's only a rumor, I heard that they'll swap out a new card for an older one if you have an S3 with the problem. That's the kind of company they are, that rumors of how nice they are get started, even if they're not true. (I don't know if this one is or not.) And it's why that's the only kind of card I buy. They're great when you have a problem. (Not that I've had one [other than breaking the outer shell of one with my clumsy fingers, which I didn't even bother calling them about - that's not the sort of thing I'd expect any company to replace], and I've been buying their cards since they first started selling them.)

CodeCanCare

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site

Hello, sorry to hear of the image loss, I've been writing code to recover and fix jpeg images and might be able to help out. Do you know if the image size is larger then 0? If so we have a chance to recover :) I'd happily have a look and see what the cause of the corruption might be. I live at eric at codecancare dot com Have a great day / night -Eric