(mostly feeling samsung in otterbox atm) and I wondered if anyone could help me with more knowledge).
    1) My contract is up 3/8/15, if both are available, note 4 or s6?
    2) do custom launchers affect the s-pen on the note? (note 3 currently)
    3) best custom launcher (ADWLauncher EX/Nova Launcher Prime are what I've read about so far)
    4) anything one needs to know about android when they have never used it (not really never but never more than minutes at a time helping someone else with small problems)
    5) lastly, thoughts on the idea of switching, good idea or bad?
    thank you for your time reading this far
    09-29-2014 12:46 AM
    Custom launchers shouldn't affect the spen functionality of a Galaxy Note custom Roms are another story however I think most take away the flashier features. General advice for Android would have to be get a Google account. For Samsung specifically spend some time in the settings tweaking things. You'll find loads. The custom launcher I use is action launcher. It does a nice job of getting out of the way and reduces the amount of thought it requires for me to navigate through things. I've always enjoyed android but I admit I'm curious about iOS. I don't think I'd switch full time it'd be fun to play with though. I suppose it depends on how heavily invested you are in the Apple ecosystem. As to what phone to get it depends on what you want the note 4 will have a larger screen than the s6 but it's likely that the design language brought on by the Galaxy alpha (chamfered aluminum and soft touch plastic) will be continued. Why are you leaning towards Samsung? Honestly for a first android experience I'd go with a stock android device. Something like a Moto X or a nexus/gpe. I'd look for a fire sale on the nexus 5 if I were you. What carrier are you on?
    09-29-2014 01:55 AM
    (i posted original question before registering) att, the reason for samsung, they offer (mostly from what I have seen) the best cameras about, about to go on a trip, don't want to take two (phone+camera)
    09-29-2014 04:58 AM
    Welcome to AC. Well their daylight camera performance is top tier to be sure. But the gs5 at least struggles in low light. The note 4 may solve that as I'm pretty sure it has ois. I think the g3 is a decent all around camera if you can get used to the rear mounted buttons and the divergent ui.
    09-29-2014 11:30 AM
    went ahead and pre ordered the note 4, along with a 64 gb sandisk (amazon) memory card
    10-04-2014 02:10 PM
    10-06-2014 09:52 PM
    ow, is this still the way of it? Reading that gives some pause but let me make sure I understand, any program (from now on program will refer to not given by samsung/att/google, from the start) will be able (if updated) to read any file on my sd card, such as a music program playing back my songs, but will be unable to write/remove ...playlists, new songs, what have you to any folder that it didn't make, (or maybe in some cases take permissions for).
    10-09-2014 12:52 AM
    found something that may "fix" this "feature", assuming a) you can root it (which I know you can't likely do for some time), b) that this is a problem in the first place. Is it likely something that I will have to worry about, and won't any program still be able to read (only) everything from the card?

http colon //www dot droidviews dot com/restore-write-capability-to-external-sd-card-on-kitkat-manually/
    10-09-2014 01:16 AM
    seems I can't edit a previous post, sorry for the triple post
    However, the stock Samsung "My Files" app was properly updated. If you use that app, you can do everything you did pre-KitKat. ES File Explorer is also 4.4.2-functional.
    last question I hope, does this mean some apps not previously installed will not have that problem at all (if properly updated)
    10-09-2014 01:24 AM
    And if you download Samsung Smart Switch, it will allow you to enter you iCloud account info and download practically everything from the iPhone, to your new Android..

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-09-2014 10:09 AM
    ow, is this still the way of it? Reading that gives some pause but let me make sure I understand, any program (from now on program will refer to not given by samsung/att/google, from the start) will be able (if updated) to read any file on my sd card, such as a music program playing back my songs, but will be unable to write/remove ...playlists, new songs, what have you to any folder that it didn't make, (or maybe in some cases take permissions for).
    Sorry for not responding. I'm not getting notifications from this thread for some reason. I wouldn't know about sd card compliance with KitKat as I have a nexus 5. No external storage there. You'd probably be better off asking in the Galaxy S5 Forums.
    10-10-2014 12:40 PM
    Can we NOT mention "Root" to a new Android user Before they have not even got a device?!
    belodion likes this.
    10-10-2014 12:52 PM
    I started that, I know exactly what it is and though my experience with linux is, sub admin, I'm certainly better off than a standard user, and I have full system "account" access on my windows 7 (though to be fair i almost never use it). (windows xp it was a matter of running an "at" command, now you have to get sysutils from micro$oft)
    abengowe joshua likes this.
    10-10-2014 06:38 PM