Recently my battery was draining quick for a few weeks, thought nothing of it just always kept my charger on me. Few weeks later the phone started turning off when it was at 50 percent chargers, it would completely shut off, and when I tried to turn it back off the battery was drained. As time went on it got worse shutting down after being fully charged and when it hit 70 percent, it would turn off and be drained again and I would have to charge it. Went to the store they found out the battery was toast....and swollen. They referred me to a store near by which sold batteries. Got a new battery and the phone seemed to work fine, but now when the battery gets around 10 percent left it shuts off.....I have a app that says my phone overheats sometimes, should I delete some apps or should I seek insurance and get a new phone?
    09-30-2014 02:45 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! It is not that unusual for a 10% reading to trigger an automatic shutoff. The battery meter might need a little recalibration as well. Use the phone until it shuts off or is close to shutting off, then charge it up completely (preferably while powered off), and do this cycle about 3 times. This might make the meter more accurate.

How much is it overheating? Does it actually tell you it's overheating, or is that app just reporting temperatures? High temps can be generated by processor intensive apps, so it might be somewhat normal, depending on what you're doing.
    09-30-2014 02:50 AM
    Sounds to me as if the battery developed a dendritic short. A little crystal grows across part of the battery, the current it draws shatters the crystal and the battery works again, but while it was shorted, the phone shut off. If the crystal is thick enough, it can drain quite a bit of battery before it shatters. (We're talking microseconds vs. milliseconds.) It's one of the bad things about lithium battery technology. The industry is working on it, but so far no one has been able to produce a lithium battery that can't develop dendrites. And since lithium batteries have far greater power densities than the next best technology (nickel metal hydride) that's what we use. (Lead acid gel batteries would be better, but one to run a phone would be about 4 pounds and it would be larger than the phone.)

A dendritic short is technically covered under the warranty (it's a manufacturing defect), but it's almost impossible to get the battery replaced under warranty. (I know - as a dealer, I went up the chain of command with tons of research papers. No one, even the higher-ups at the phone manufacturers, was interested.) And a new battery is under $20 (look on Amazon - Anker, a good battery, is $14,or 2 batteries and a charger (you can charge one battery and the phone at the same time) for $25. (Buy $35+ of items marked free shipping for orders over $35, and shipping is free. Now is the time to get a Qi receiver and charging plate for the phone.)
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-30-2014 09:40 AM
    Thanks for the replies, I have a new battery now. Purchased it for 40 bucks, but they are taking it off my next T Mobile bill, so I have no problem with that. I will try uncharging it off a few times. My phone is not telling me it is overheating....its an app called Master Cleaner I think.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-30-2014 01:29 PM
    Now it's shutting off between 30 and 20 percent, should I take it to the mobile and get a new one or take it to a shop shop for repair? Or maybe I can fix it myself?
    10-01-2014 10:07 PM
    Assuming for the moment that your present battery is good, have you considered Factory Resetting? A hassle even if your personal data is backed up, but it might help.

http://www.androidpit.com/how-to-fac...er-performance

Posted via Android Central App
    10-01-2014 10:44 PM
    Funny thing is today it died at about 35 percent and shut off. So I started charging it....got it up to 17 percent. Then unplugged my charger to go walk the dog. While I was walking the dog and using the phone texting and internet....the battery percentage magically increased to 22 percent!?!?! And its working fine now under 35 percent. I am confused....time for a factory reset....
    10-02-2014 05:27 PM
    Damn wish I would of seen this sooner, factory resetted my phone lost all my contacts. I backed them up, but I can't find them...trying this android dr wondershare to see if i can get my contacts back
    10-02-2014 09:13 PM
    Is there anywhere I can look for my contacts?
    10-02-2014 09:18 PM
    Have you tried signing in to your Google account? Or whatever account you used when backing up?

Posted via Android Central App
    10-02-2014 10:30 PM
    Yea nothing only saved my damn text message convos. Any apps or anything?
    10-02-2014 10:54 PM