I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini that was brought to me because the user was experiencing trouble connecting to the T-mobile network. There would be cell service for about an hour, after which all service would be lost. The problem is reported to have started after performing an update a few weeks ago, which the user thinks was a firmware update. Now, the phone receives no cell service at all. I should also add that the phone was purchased through Groupon, and because of that they were told (by T-mobile) that they'd have to send the phone to China if they want it fixed.
    Now this is where it starts getting pretty complicated. First, I tried checking the phone's IMEI number on imei.info. The result shows a Motorola W375 flip phone, not the Galaxy S3. I'm not sure what this means. Secondly, the model number of the phone is GT-I8200L which means that it's for the Latin American market.
    I'm pretty tech-savvy, but I'm by no means an expert when it comes to fixing phones, so I have no idea what to do at this point. The phone doesn't appear to be unlocked, since my (non-T-mobile) SIM card doesn't work. I'm finding lots of articles for things like "flashing firmware" and whatnot, but I don't know whether this would help. Maybe it's a lost cause at this point?

I'd greatly appreciate any help!
    10-02-2014 02:14 AM