Hi everyone,

This is both a technical question and a nightmare PSA about Motorola customer service.

I ordered the Moto G second generation on release day. Since then I received mixed confirmations from Motorola about whether I was getting the US GSM or Global GSM version. I called Motorola, while my phone was shipping en route, to clarify. They gave me a conclusory answer with no explanation of why the error appeared. Since then I have been using my Moto G. But I am on AT&T so I'd have no idea which version I have until I switched carriers or left the country.

Currently I am in a customer service chat with two reps. This has been the chat from hell. They keep dodging my basic questions about how to tell which model I have. The first rep gave me a conclusory answer without looking at my order (she didn't ask for order #). The second rep says there is no way to check; I just have to go on what I ordered. The model numbers are the same. There is no way to check by looking at the phone. WHAT?

As a sidenote, the website for the Moto G second generation is surprisingly elusive compared to their other product pages. The Moto G first gen's webpage lists the bands for the various US and Global models. The second gen's webpage only lists one set of bands, the US / T-mobile AWS compatible version.

I am aware there are different model numbers from my google searches: XT1063, XT1064, and XT1066. Apparently these have nothing to do with bands according to the motorola reps. I have XT1063.

The only telling thing that I can find on my phone is the Baseband version "RETUSA_GLB_CUST" -- this might mean I have the global version. This is found under About Phone. Can anyone with a known US GSM version post theirs for comparison?

Any information is welcome. Thanks everyone!
    10-03-2014 01:13 PM
    Retusa_aws_cust (US XT1064)
    10-17-2014 04:28 AM
    Easy, from Motorola's web site:

Version Description Alternate designations
    XT1063 Global GSM Single SIM
    XT1064 US/Canada GSM Single SIM
    XT1068 Global GSM Dual-SIM
    XT1069 GSM+GSM+DTV Dual-SIM, Brazil model supporting DTV
    12-27-2014 11:06 PM
    I am aware there are different model numbers from my google searches: XT1063, XT1064, and XT1066. Apparently these have nothing to do with bands according to the motorola reps.
    Apparently the Motorola reps couldn't find a needle in a stack of needles. Maybe they need to learn what "clue" means, so they can try to find one. (So sad - Motorola used to be the best cellphone company, with techs as service reps. It's like seeing a 90 year old woman when the last time you saw her she was 15 years old.)
    12-28-2014 01:36 PM
    I received the XT1063 from Amazon but similar to original poster I had a chat from hell with Motorola. When they did a search for my IMEI they claimed it was locked to Verizon. Yet this is supposed to be an unlocked Global GSM phone. It does have a micro sim slot. But again like the OP I use the phone overseas. Unfortunately I don't even have a US sim to test with.

I was not able to locate the model number designations listed by Glenn Roe on the Motorola website. Wouldn't it be nice if they simply printed on the box Global GSM or US GSM? As of right now I have no idea if this phone will work later this month when I am in Asia. Any advice or guidance is much appreciated.
    01-09-2015 05:32 AM
    I am in Brazil and I bought from BestBuy in Coral Gables a Moto G XT1064 and it is working fine iall over Brazil. Also, other time I took to US a GSM phone that I bought in Brazil and it worked fine using AT&T Micro-chip. I don´t know if my Moto G is the US or global edition..
    05-13-2015 08:35 AM
    I got XT1064 and it's DUAL-SIM and I use it in Argentina
    10-01-2015 08:41 PM