Hi,

I broke the screen on my Nexus 4 and just got the lcd and screen replaced. After this replacement I have random inputs on certain screens on the phone. Typically when there is a lot of stuff to touch on the screen the random inputs occur.

I have tried a few solutions.

1) Simply restarting the phone
    2) Updating to the latest android software
    3) Doing factory reset through the developer options (holding down the power button and volume down button and going through there).

I turned on the options to show inputs on my screen and most of the random inputs occur on the lower half though some do reach above the halfway mark.

The guy who replaced the screen says it's something to do with a damaged motherboard. However I cannot find anything that would corroborate that kind of behaviour with a damaged motherboard. Is anyone able to help me figure out what is happening with this or at least a way I can diagnose the problem?

Thanks
    10-03-2014 08:50 PM
    If the screen inputs on the motherboard are shorting intermittently, it would cause that problem. So would a defective touch screen. Replacing one of them temporarily is the only way to localize the problem (unless you or he wants to spend days troubleshooting the phone, measuring point pairs for hours each, waiting for a short). If another screen doesn't do it, it was a bad screen. If another motherboard doesn't do it, it's a bad motherboard.

An intermittent problem isn't an easy thing to diagnose. It's like your car makes a squeaking sound once in a while, but you don't know what the conditions are that cause it - concrete road, humidity, cold weather, crowned road ... too many possibilities to take it out for one spin, then fix the problem. Any kind of intermittent problem is tough to fix.
    10-03-2014 10:32 PM
    Hi, I was the one who originally asked the question. I really appreciate your response, it definitely helps point me in the right direction.

Playing around with it more I have noticed that almost any screen that isn't the home screen has this issue. I don't know if that narrows it down at all. I'll see if an actual shop can help me figure out which it is though. Again, thanks for the help!
    10-03-2014 11:15 PM