Why is my battery draining so quickly on my Nexus 5?

A

AC Question

Strange behaviour from Nexus 5 battery

Yes, another Nexus 5 battery query, but this one is different!

Since I got my phone I've noticed if I restart it when the battery isn't 100% it'll come back on with a vastly different readout. This takes a few forms:
Example 1) It'll turn off at say 15% and when I turn it back on straight away it'll read higher, say 80%, it'll then very quickly charge to 100%, then it'll flatten from 100% to zero in a matter of 20-30 minutes (clearly the battery was only at 15% when restarted).
Example 2) It'll turn off around 70% and turn back on lower (say 35), I'll be using it for hours and I'll watch the battery percentage spontaneously rise despite it not being on charge (often by 5-10%), then it starts to flatten at a normal rate. (Again the 70% is was accurate and it restarted with an erroneous readout).

When the battery readout behaves I tend to get a full day of light use out of the phone, or I can actively use it for 6 hours before it flattens from full so I know there isn't a major issue with the hardware.

Normally when the phone does either of the above examples a second restart fixes it and I'm back to normal. The reason I'm asking for help is the percentage has now gone crazy and I can barely get 4 standby hours or 1-2 usage hours from the phone. The power drop is now non-linear...it'll lose the first 20-30% rapidly then slowly drop the next few tens of %, then die quickly. My power usage screen is showing strange results: Keyboard, Android OS, Android System, etc...are using almost as much of my battery as the screen (even when being used actively).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can reset this?

P.S. The phone just dropped from full to 15% in around 4 hours of light use, so I plugged it in and restarted it, it came back on at 88% and slowly charged (at a normal rate) up to 100%...I really haven't got a clue what's going on!!!

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The first thing to do, I suggest, is a Cache Partition wipe. Even if it has no useful effect in this case it won't do any harm and you can move on to considering other things, such as the battery.
Bear in mind if wiping that it takes c10min on the Nexus 5, which is normal, and that getting into Recovery Mode can be tricky....but keep at it.

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9578

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol