Root guide for a Grande w9000?

A

AC Question

Hello,

My dad purchased a cheap phone from China: Grande w9000, running 4.3.3, build #MT6572. Included in the bloatware with the phone was an app called "Cooee S4 Launcher" which appears to behaving maliciously. After trying other removal methods, it appears we will have to root the phone. However, I am having trouble finding a guide for this make/model. Any help?

Thanks in advance,

Trevor

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Towel Root roots at the Linux level, so it should root any phone.

Then go to the play store and try a few different launchers. (I prefer Nova, but people use Go, Solo, Holo, Next, Apex, Mobie, Ubuntu, ADW ... They all do the same thing, they just have different looks and feels. It's a personal choice.)

If your phone can't do the Google Play Store (a lot of Chinese phones can't), go to Amazon, look for Android launchers and you'll see an app, Appstore, that you can have the site install on your phone, so you can install apps from Amazon. They have the same apps at the same price and are about as safe.

Once you have another launcher, you can delete the one you think is malicious. (NEVER delete the only launcher you have - you won't be able to use the phone.)

Trevor Fulford

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello Rukbat,

Thank you for your suggestion, however when I tried running TowelRoot (after allowing installation of apps from unknown sources) the phone simply reboots, which suggests that the rooting failed.

Are there any other applications you can suggest we try? I've considered using Kingo Root or vRoot, but some people had reported suspicious behaviour from these apps.

Thanks,

Trevor