Hi.

So, I own an LG G3. Amazing phone, great screen, UI... In fact, great first all-round Android experience coming over from BlackBerry.

However, one thing that's critical to me is battery life, which I'm always chasing like some kind of Lithium fountain of life.

Of course I realise that, like any modern day smartphone, heavier use kills a battery. The G3, with its intensive screen, but incredible standby time, has massive variance in battery life for me... But, generally, I'm 10-15 hrs from full to dead (please, I'm not looking for G3 stats here - had plenty of 'my G3 is toast in 5 hours/lasts me 4 weeks chats on here already. Generally, my battery may not get used for a coupe of hours, and drop by 1 %, but anything with screen use eats it, so, for instance, mapping for 1hr on the G3 is a 25 - 30% drop...

So, my question is, is the Sony Xperia Z3's battery REALLY as amazing as I'm reading? I'm looking for some examples if poss. Sure, if you get 20 hrs, great, buy I can get that on my G3 if I'm careful... I'm bearing in mind also that the G3 has a removable battery too...

I'm very tempted to buy the z3, but need some more info first... If it's just another 'the standby is amazing, but yeah, any screen usage kills it' than I may as well stick with what I have.

Cheers for any help.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-06-2014 12:07 AM
    See, now I'm worried that no with a Z3 has replied as all of their batteries have died...
    10-06-2014 05:08 AM
    I have had the Z3 for about a week. I keep GPS on all the time. Same with WiFi, mobile data and auto brightness. In general 1hour of screen time is about 20‰ battery for me. So it hits about 5-6 hours screen on time but if I wanted more I could lower brightness etc. The fact I don't worry about battery at all now is a big bonus. It should easily last a day with heavy use, much more for lighter users.
    Stwutter likes this.
    10-06-2014 10:28 AM
    As an extra the battery drain when navigating with google maps is the lowest I've ever seen; that has always eaten up the battery super quick on every other phone I've had. But if you've got a g3 I think a charged spare is the way to go (certainly easier than changing phones).
    Stwutter likes this.
    10-06-2014 10:34 AM
    I have had the Z3 for about a week. I keep GPS on all the time. Same with WiFi, mobile data and auto brightness. In general 1hour of screen time is about 20‰ battery for me. So it hits about 5-6 hours screen on time but if I wanted more I could lower brightness etc. The fact I don't worry about battery at all now is a big bonus. It should easily last a day with heavy use, much more for lighter users.
    Cheers for the reply.

I have heard very good things. I think I'm gonna stick with the G3 though. The impression you give yourself when reading of mega-batteries on modern-day smartphones can be that everyone else is getting double your own battery life... but, as much as the Z3 battery may be better than the G3 due to the screen (mostly), what you've said about 20% for an hour on screen is not much different. And, as you say, spares are a great bonus - I carry 2, which is mega-overkill, but it's peace of mind if ever I am away for a couple of days and I'm charger-less. I'm quite a heavy user - screen intensive - but I still get through to most evenings OK.
    10-06-2014 10:38 AM
    As an extra the battery drain when navigating with google maps is the lowest I've ever seen; that has always eaten up the battery super quick on every other phone I've had. But if you've got a g3 I think a charged spare is the way to go (certainly easier than changing phones).
    What kind of figures using GPS on the Z3?
    10-06-2014 10:41 AM
    Only used navigation once but it was basically the same as any other task that used the screen. The Z3 battery has blown me away and I love it but it can't compete with two charged spares 😉
    Stwutter likes this.
    10-06-2014 11:30 AM