I am I able to install a Windows program via disc on a Slatebook or is there an app that I can buy that will do the same function?

Diane Story

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Trying to figure out what to get to run old software; or looking for new software

Here's the story: I am using an old PC to run a program "Spin It Again" by Acoustica. I use this program to record vinyl records via USB and my old turntable. SIA divides tracks, and makes MP3s, and has very very good flaw detection and removal, so there are no pops of fizzes.

This old pc laptop is getting too old, and I would like to upgrade. I have a nexus 7 tablet, and a moto x phone, both obviously running android, and I really like it. So, I would like to get an Android laptop that can run this program. I know the only Android Laptop is the slatebook, and I'm not sure if I would be able to install SIA. I have an external optical drive, so that is not a problem.

Would I be able to install that (windows) program via disc on a Slatebook? Or is there an app that I can buy to do the same function? Or should I be looking at a different laptop, scrap the Android idea?

Thank you!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trying to figure out what to get to run old software; or looking for new software

Welcome to Android Central! I don't think that will work. The app has to be developed for Android, and I'm also not aware if Android can support a turntable. It also isn't available for Chromebooks.

I would suggest buying a cheap Windows 8 laptop--you can get some decent ones for <$300.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trying to figure out what to get to run old software; or looking for new software

Hmm, as I look into it more, it's possible that an Android device could recognize a USB turntable via OTG cable. You could look into this app: USB Audio Recorder PRO

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

If you can't find an Android app that can do it, the program will probably run on a very cheap ($200 class) PC. (It appears to run on Windows 7 [I ran it, checked Settings, but didn't try to record anything - I no longer have any hardware to use for that], so it will probably run on Windows 8 or 8.1. And Acoustica seems to be still very much in business (it's not an orphan program), so if you have a problem you can contact them.

As far as recording vinyl on an Android device, where would you plug the turntable in? Maybe into the mic jack, but you'd have to have the cable made up - the earphone jack on the phone isn't a "mic in" jack, like a mic in jack on a PC.

Maybe talk to Acoustica about writing a version that would run on an Android device, using OTG for input (and they'd have to sell an audio to OTG adapter).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That USB Audio Recorder app linked above mentions being able to record from various audio devices using an OTG USB adapter, so hopefully it can work with a USB turntable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma