Hi.
    My 32GB Note 3 was damaged by water and needs motherboard replacement. I would like to know that does it affect the internal storage (photos, videos etc) ? Does the phone memory has anything to do with the motherboard or is it just the hard disc?
    Hope to get replies soon. Those photos are very important to me.
    10-09-2014 06:56 AM
    Water damage is too random to really answer this question with any certainty. If this device has an SD those are pretty resilient and probably isn't damaged but as for the internal memory that is too much of a random event to really say what got wet or what may have been affected.
    10-09-2014 07:19 AM
    1) Phones don't have disks, they have non-volatile (doesn't lose data when the power is turned off) memory storage.

2) The memory storage is part of the motherboard, so if the motherboard is replaced, you lose any data (pictures, etc.) on it. (Which is why you should have any file you don't want to lose backed up to at least 2 independent destinations (laptop and cloud account, etc.)

3) If a shop is replacing the motherboard, be sure you get a written guarantee covering the entire phone. If there's corrosion damage somewhere other than the motherboard (camera, etc.), it will continue and eventually fail. If they don't replace anything that got corroded or shorted (those are the 2 things that water causes that damage a phone, due to the impurities in the water - pure H2O doesn't damage electronics if they're off when it's wet), the phone will eventually fail.

Get an estimate for the repair first - and be sitting down when you get it. If you got the phone at a subsidized price (it was about $200 when it was new), a proper full repair is going to cost considerably more than the phone did. (I've seen really nice Note 3s on Swappa that are selling for less than the repair will probably cost you.)
    10-09-2014 11:37 AM